Fanfictions' reading corner/Le coin de lecture des fanfictions

IT'S OVER...

« Older   Newer »
Gentillefille
view post Posted on 10/7/2007, 16:04 by: Gentillefille     +1   -1

Reine du drame à la plume diversifiée qui ne cesse de produire toujours autant, malgré les ans et ses idées qui autant en emporte le vent!

Group:
Administrator

Chapter 2

“An unexpected encounter"

The rumours of Candy’s iminent departure arrived to the Great Aunt's Elroy's ears, and the Reagan twins. The great Aunt was more upset about the "what would people say", then about Candy's welfare. Ever since she learned that Candy took care of Albert during his amnesia, she didn't say anything bad against her. The twins had the following reactions;

- That idiot is going to war? Said Eliza, let's have a party! I'm going to pray that she never comes back!

- Shut up Eliza! She could die, said her brother

- So what? It would be good riddance!

- Stop saying that! I love her...

- Come on, you're not over her yet? She hates you with a passion...

- It's your fault! If you hadn't dragged me into your underhand practices, and your unkindness towards her, maybe I would've managed to make her fall in love with me...

- You're daydreaming; Neil...and I never put a gun to your head...

- Why do you hate her so much? She's nice, and she could've been a nice friend to you...

- Never!!!

- Eliza, you have to grow up and stop your spoiled brat foolishness. Candy is not bothering us anymore. She's independent, and I think she's pretty courageous to go to the war take care of the wounded.

- But Neil...

- No, enough! Don't talk ill of her in front of me again. She found her way, find yours! Do something with your life...

- What's got into you all of a sudden? Did Candy drive you nuts?

He got out of the room. Candy was leaving in the evening for France; she was going to take the boat in New York, the next morning. He had to see her, at all cost. He went at Candy's apartment and knocked on the door.

Candy was finishing packing and she was making sure she hadn't forgotten anything. She heard the knocks on the door. It was, either the landlord, wanting to show the apartment to some people, or Albert who was early.

- Just a minute! She said

She went to open the door, and she was surprised to see Neil in front of her, she wanted to close the door...

- Candy...please, don't close the door to my face. I came to wish you good luck

Candy looked at him, for the first time, she thought he seemed honest.

- Come in, Neil she finally said

- Thanks he said shyly. Are you ready to go?

- Yes, I'm waiting for Albert and Archie

- Before your departure, I wanted to apologise for everything I did to you ever since our first meeting... I think what you're doing is very brave

- Thanks Neil and I forgive you. You seem sincere, and I'm going to war, anything could happen. So I might as well make peace with as much people as possible...

- Thanks Candy. And also, I'm sorry for handling it so wrong when I fell in love with you. I still love you, Candy; I wanted to marry you...

- Neil...

- I'm going to miss you and I will pray for your return

- Thanks Neil, that's really nice of you

- I'm going to go. Good luck, Candy, be careful

- Thanks Neil, she repeated

To her big surprise, he hugged her, kissed her quickly on the neck and left before Candy could react.

"Ok...I wasn't expecting that! She said talking to herself"

Albert and Archie arrived to take her to the train station. Annie and Patty were also there. They all went with her to New York. During the trip, since they were in first class, they had a little party for Candy. The laughs were there, but so was the sadness.

- Come on said Candy, enough with the long faces! It's a goodbye, not a farewell...I'm going to be back. Come on loosen up!

Her friends smiled, but they were still sad. They arrived at the harbour, and Candy got on board with the Red Cross people she found at the embankment. She said goodbye to her friends.

- Bye Candy, said Annie crying, kissing her and hugging her

- Bye Annie, said Candy

- Candy, goodbye, said Archie hugging her

- Bye Archie, she said

- Candy, be careful said Patty, bye Candy

- Goodbye, Patty said Candy kissing her and hugging her

She turned to Albert and hugged him for a long time. Candy his friend, and protégée was going to risk her life. He was in love with her, but he didn't want to tell her. He knew she still loved Terry, and that she was leaving America because of him...

- Albert, Oh Albert I'm going to miss you! Goodbye

- Goodbye Candy, be careful

She got on board; there were a lot of people. When the boat left, she was making sign to her friends until they were out of sight. She met other Red Cross volunteers, men and women, and she started to talk with three young women in her age range. They were named, Allyson San Filippo, Kristina Westbrook, and Kelly Ford. They started to talk and became good friends. They were talking about their family's reaction when they decided to go to war.

- My mother, almost fainted, said Allyson

- My father almost had a heart attack, said Kristina

- My friends said I was crazy, said Candy

- But maybe we are...said Allyson, we are leaving peace in America to go to the horror of the war... and we may not come back alive...

- For now, we are alive, said Candy, you have to think positive; we are going to see our families and friends again!

- Looks like we have a ray of sunshine, Candy "Little Mary Sunshine..." in a good way, said Kristina

They burst out laughing. Allyson was dark blond, Kristina was dark brown, and Kelly was strawberry blond.

- Do you have boyfriends? Asked Kelly, I have a boyfriend

- Nothing serious, said Allyson

- I have a fiancé at war said Kristina, but he's in England...

- I have no one said Candy with a motionless face

- There was someone, said Kelly

- Yes, but it's over... said Candy

- I'm sorry said Kristina. I hope to meet my fiancé at war, you never know...I pray they transfer him to France

- He will probably be angry that you came to France to risk your life said Kelly

- Men, said Candy, it's normal for them to go the battle front to fight for reason they don't even understand, but it's dangerous for us to go take care of the wounded...

- This is a man's world said Allyson

- We have to change that, said Candy, men should leave the big jobs to women. If women were the head of states of all those countries, maybe there wouldn't be a war

- "Maybe", Candy? If I were the head of state, I wouldn't send all those poor children to the butchery that this war is, said Kristina

They continued their discussions in the boat's restaurant. A group of young men that were going to war to fight join them in their discussion.

- Ladies said one of the young men, you don't like the war and you're going there? Can we join us?

- Of course, said Candy, have a seat...

- Thank you, they all said, sitting with the young girls

- We're nurses, said Candy, we're not going to fight, we're going to take care of the wounded...

- We're going to help the French, said guy named Ray

- America in not at war, said Kristina, you don't have to go risk your lives...

- You either, said another one name Jack

- We want to help, said another one named Walt

- And why are you helping the French only? What about the others? Who are the bad guys and who are the good guys? Said Allyson

- Who made that decision? Asked Kristina

- We, the nurses, are going to see only the wounded said Candy

The discussion continued also during the meal and during the whole trip. Allyson started to flirt with the guy named Ray. Candy had guys hitting on her but she played deaf...

The boat arrived at Calais in mid-October. A truck from the Red Cross came to get the young volunteers, and the shipment of the medicines, and food that had come with them. The trip to Paris was long and tiresome. They arrived to the Red Cross building, were they were supposed to stay. They all had a very little room with one bed.

Candy wanted to share her room with someone...But being alone, was not so bad either.

The next morning, the nurses orientation, was starting. They had to learn a minimum of French, so they could help at all time.

“French...said Candy, I can do it"

The first days, the new nurses observed the others, but there was so much work, and do many wounded, that they had to start working right away. Candy was a little lost, but she held on. Working in the emergency room will certainly be a good way to occupy her mind and her time. She worked from morning till evening, she barely had the time to eat, and at night, she was so tired that she fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. In the long run, she got used to her working pace. She knew that the war was making casualties every day; it was one thing to know it, and another one to live it. The reality was a very big shock for her. All those men were losing their lives, or parts of their body, it was hard, very hard to live that.

She wrote her friend, the first day she was free. She also spent a lot of time with the local staff to practice her French, but her three friends from the boat were also there with her. They were talking in the staff room one morning after having taken care of a lot of wounded, very early in the morning. The wounded were victim of an ambush by the enemy; it happened around 4 of 5 am. The nurses were awaken, in a rush because the nightly staff was not enough.

- How are you? Asked Candy, how are you holding up?

- It's harder than I thought, said Kelly

- But it's... it feels good working like that, even though there's a lot of victims, we are able to save a lot of people, said Kristina

- But I'm still sleepy, Said Allyson

- You can sleep, said Candy, we'll wake you up if there's an emergency...

- Which means in the next two minutes...said Allyson

They burst out laughing. The head nurse, arrived, and asked them to go get some bandages, cotton in the storage room. It was a little room in which every thing, medical stuff was stored. The boxes with the bandages were on top of a medicine cabinet. Candy took a stool to climb and get to the boxes with the bandages and the cottons. Her friends were busy looking for stuff in the boxes on the floor.

There was group of new young doctors who were having a tour of the hospital. They arrived in the storage room.

- And this is the storage room, where we keep all the medical stuff, said the head nurse, and here are our young nurses, freshly came from America...

- Hello said the doctors

- Hello said the young nurses who were looking for bandages in the boxes.

Candy was standing on the stool and she also answered, but she lost her balance, screamed and she was going to fall if one of the new doctors hadn't caught her just in time. Candy fell into the arms of a handsome French doctor whose cologne smelled really nice.

- I'm sorry said Candy, I lost my balance...

- The pleasure was all mine, Miss...CANDY!! He said surprised

- MICHAEL! Said Candy smiling, what a nice surprise!

- You're telling me? We have to stop meeting like this! He said with a smile

- Yeah, said Candy still smiling...

They burst out laughing. The others were looking at them stunned. They knew each other? Yes , Michael was the young French officer that Candy had met at a party at the Andrew mansion, and who had helped her getting down from the tower with a rope, after a trick from Neil and Eliza, to make her look ridiculous in front of the guests. She had then danced with him for the rest of the evening. He then received a telegram asking him to go back to France, to the battle front. He took her to the hospital, before leaving for the train station.

- Oh Michael, I'm so happy to see you! said Candy smiling

- Likewise, said Michael, you came to take care of the wounded?

- Yes I got my diploma and I came here to help take care of the wounded

- You're very brave...

- Weren't you the one that told me that if I like the risk so much, I should use it for a good cause?

- So you took me literally to my word?

- Michael, our encounter gave me the courage to continue the work I wanted to do...

- I'm glad I had that effect on you, Miss Daredevil!

Candy burst out laughing. Her heart was rejoicing, for the first time since her break up with Terry.

- When we met, she was coming down a very high tower, more than 200 metres high, with a rope and a suitcase in her hand... explained Michael to the others

- And Michael was kind enough to come and help me, said Candy

- Oh... said the others

- Let's continue our tour, said Michael, are you coming with us Candy?

Candy looked at the head nurse, who agreed with her eyes, even though she wasn't very happy to se her so familiar with Michael.

- Thank you, said Michael to the head nurse, so, let's go Miss Daredevil...

- Ok, said Miss Daredevil

Candy was smiling but the French nurses were jealous! That little American was stealing their French doctor! A lot of young French men died at the war. America was not officially at war. There's going to be a need of Frenchmen and this little American, was stealing one of their most eligible bachelor, right from under their nose.

Candy left with Michael. The French nurses were talking among them.

- Who does she think she is? Throwing herself in Michael's arms like that? said one

- She literally fell in his arms, said another

Allyson heard them, even though they were speaking in French, and told them in English.

- They already knew each other, no need to be jealous; she's one step ahead of you...

Kelly and Kristina giggled. Candy, "Little Mary Sunshine" was full of surprises!

Michael took Candy in a little restaurant not too far from the hospital, during lunch time.

- Candy I still can't believe that you're in front of me! I thought I would never see you again...

- You don't say "never" Michael. I was a student nurse and you a future doctor

- I'm a doctor now, Dr. Durand

- Congratulations, Dr. Durand

- Thanks

- And I'm now a nurse with a diploma in general surgery

- Congratulations, Miss qualified nurse

- Thanks

- Candy, I know our encounter was brief, but I often thought about you. I wish I had taken your address to write you

- I know, but you had to go back to France in a hurry. I'm happy that nothing happened to you. I also thought about you with this war who making so much victims

- Thanks Candy he said softly

They were looking at each other with fondness. Candy needed a friend that didn't remind her of Terry. Someone to hold on to. She remembered being impressed by Michael, his words, his kindness. He came to help her get down from the tower, she was in his arms...then they had danced. The party that Eliza and Neil wanted ruined for Candy, turned out to be wonderful because of Michael and his uniform... He was really handsome.

They ate talking about America. Candy told him how Neil wanted to force her to marry her.

- Not possible! After the dirty trick he played on you?

- You haven't heard anything yet, Michael!

- Really? He really fell in love with you?

- Unbelievable, hein? After treating me like dirt since our first meeting...

- I bet his beating himself now for it everyday

- I think so too, said Candy laughing

They burst out laughing. They finished their lunch and went back to the hospital, back to their jobs. Michael asked to work with Candy, which raised the jealousy of the other nurses. Michael was walking with her to the Red Cross building every night. Her three friends were teasing her about it when they were alone.

- Candy the handsome French doctor is completely under your spell said Kelly

- The French nurses are jealous. They say that America in not at war, and that their men are dying by thousands, and you come and steal the little they have said Kristina

- That's ridiculous said Candy and Michael is half American, I met in Chicago...said Candy

- And then...? Asked Kelly

- Then we didn't think we would see each other again...she continued

- But destiny took things in it's own hands...said Allyson

- Destiny...said Candy talking to herself, I thought destiny was going to bring me something else...

Her friends were looking at her. She looked like someone with a broken heart.

- Candy, said Kelly, you seem sad

- It's in the past she said looking down

- A painful past, apparently said Allyson

- I loved this boy with all my heart, but a combination of circumstances separated us... he married another girl...she said with tears in her eyes

- Oh Candy, I'm sorry said Kristina

- But Michael is available, said Kelly

- He's a doctor, he's handsome said Allyson, he can heal your heart too

- Yes he can, can he? But do I have the right to use him as a safety buoy? Asked Candy

- Candy, if Michael is making you feel good, and he's helping you think less about your lost love, don't let him go, said Kelly, you have feelings for him

- I admit I was mesmerized by his presence, when we met...said Candy

- So Candy, let yourself go. Your love is married, you have to continue living said Kelly

- Even during this was? Said Candy

- Especially during this war! We don't know what could happen to us tomorrow, said Kristina

Candy stayed for a moment without talking; Michael...why not? Well, we'll see.

- Well, let's take it one step at the time, and see where it takes me...she finally said

- Candy you're impossible! Said Kelly

- Maybe. But I'm cautious... Better safe than sorry said Candy

- You learned your lesson in life, well said Kelly

They started to talk about other stuff, and the horror of the war.

Meanwhile in New York at the theatre, another day of rehearsals had just gone by. Terry decided to go see his mother before going back home.

- Good evening, mum he said

- Good evening Terry, how are you?

- I've been better

- You're not happy

- I wonder what gave you that idea... Mum...

- I can see you're suffering, honey she said ignoring the sarcasm

- Mum, I don't know if I can go on for long...

- Terry you made a commitment, you have to honour that commitment to the end

- I now know how dad felt when he was forced to fulfill his duty and leave you... I now understand why he was such a lout...I don't know how he did it, but I can't stand it anymore!

- Terry, you're not going to disappear again...

- I'm seriously thinking about it and this time, I won't come back...

- Terry! Susanna needs you...

- Susanna...yes... she should’ve let me die, if saving my life meant to live without Candy

- How could you say such a thing?

- Because it's true mum, I thought I could live without her...

- Hang in there, Terry. Destiny...

- Destiny? Destiny cruelly separated us ever since I left that damn college! What did we do wrong to deserve a fate like that? Candy is goodness incarnate and me, I don't think I've been that bad in my life...all we wanted was to live our lives together...but fate was against us!

- You have to stop being down in the damps…

- Mum, America is not officially at warm but I going to join the French army at the battle front...

- What??! But why? You want to get yourself killed?

- Maybe... but maybe the experience of the war will make me appreciate more the life I have...

- But if I lose you, my son...

- You know, those who go to war to get kill usually don't succeed he joked

- Terry, that's not funny at all!

- But I'm going to wait until this theatrical season is over, then, I'm going to start the military training

- Terry...

- I wanted to tell you so you would be prepared, so you won't be surprised by the media

- Have you told Susanna?

- I will tell her when the time comes. Instead of going out to get drunk this time and waste the life that was given to me, I'm going to go fight at the battle front...

- Oh Terry, said Eleonor with tears in her eyes, there's nothing I could say that would make you change your mind?

- No, mum. But thanks.

He kissed his mother and went back home, to his wife.

- Good evening, said Susanna smiling

Terry got into the living room, and saw Susanna with Karen Cleese who had come to see her.

- Susanna, Karen… he said with a neutral tone. I'll be in my study, if you nee me

And he went to his study without waiting for Susanna's answer. This last one was alone with Karen.

- Did you see that? It's always like that; she said to Karen, he doesn't even look at me...

- And you putting up with that?

- I love him like crazy, Karen. If he could just be a little nicer to me...

- Susanna, he was forced to marry you, when he was in love with Candy

- But it's been so long, he should've forgotten about her…

- Forget about her? Would you have forgotten about him? You're kidding right? You never forget your first love...

- Karen you're suppose to help me... not bring me down

- Susanna, every time he looks at you, he sees his lost love...

- Can you try and talk to him? Please?

- I don't want to get in the middle of this...

- Please... he talks to you more than he talks to me

- But...

Karen looked at Susanna in her wheel chair. Life hadn't been good to her. Her sacrifice or her impulsion to save Terry had cost her her leg. She had the man she loved, but he was cold, bitter.

- Susanna, you can let him go, so he could be happy with her, if you love him that much...

- What about me, I'll be unhappy. I love him too much...I want to be with him...

- Be careful what you wish for...ok, I'm going to talk to him.

Karen went to Terry's study to see him. She knocked at the door.

- Terry? Can I come in?

- Yes, of course, he said smiling, come in Karen. What can I do for you?

- I only want to talk to you...

- She sent you...

- You guessed it

- Karen

- Try to be more social with her...

- I came back. I fulfill my duty, I married her, I'm taking care of her...but that's it... I'm sorry

- Terry...

- No, Karen. I sacrificed Candy for Susanna... Big mistake!... but it's too late now...We have to live with the consequences and acting; I'll do it on stage, not at my house...

- Ok, but make an effort to be more...easy

- I'm going to try

- Thanks

So Terry made a little effort to be nicer to Susanna. The thought that he will start his military training as soon as the season was over, to go to war, gave him courage.

Web  Top
21 replies since 13/5/2007, 03:46   481 views