Fanfictions' reading corner/Le coin de lecture des fanfictions

IT'S OVER...

« Older   Newer »
Gentillefille
icon12  view post Posted on 22/7/2009, 18:32 by: Gentillefille     +1   -1

Reine du drame à la plume diversifiée qui ne cesse de produire toujours autant, malgré les ans et ses idées qui autant en emporte le vent!

Group:
Administrator

IT'S OVER...

Chapter 3
“Season greetings under the bullets"

With everything that was going on during the war, the loss of human lives, the destruction of the country, it was like time as stood still until this horror will be over, but time was continuing its course and it was now the holiday season for the second time in the row under the bullets and mortar shots. The snow was falling more abundantly than usual, it was like it wanted to cover the horror and desolation of the war under its white coat. It was cold and the soldiers had to adapt to the weather when they were going on the battle front to fight against the enemy. They had to keep the war moral because the cold couldn't be a distraction for them. They were trained to fight during all seasons. Since Christmas was coming, the army were resting at least but were on their guard of course.

Part of the program of the Red Cross was a training program with physicist Marie Curie who was the head of radiological service. She trained medical staff on how to use the X-ray machines she developed for ambulances. It was very useful on the battle front. The doctors were able to see where bullets were and operate on soldiers in the ambulances. Candy was talking to her friends in her room about Marie Curie.

- I really admire her, said Candy she and her husband won Nobel prizes in physics in 1904, for discovering radioactivity…

- She’s now widowed said Kelly, and she continued her work

- Yes, said Candy she won the Noble Prize for chemistry in 1911 for determining the atomic weight of radium…

- She’s strong, in this men’s world, said Kristina, I bet it was not easy for her…

- She probably had to fight them all the way, especially after her husband died…said Allyson

- Well they were wrong, look at what she accomplished… and the X-ray machines in the ambulances, what a great idea! said Candy, I told you, women should rule the world!

- Hear, hear! said her friends laughing

Candy and Michael had become very close. Candy knew that the three months training at the hospital, were almost over and that soon, her friends and her will have to go to the battle front to help the wounded. Michael often invited for lunch and diner; he spent all his free time with her. He also made sure that they would be working at the same time, so he would always be working in her company. The hospital director, Benoit Lecuyer, who was not paying attention to that king of details, heard the rumours that Michael was making Candy work too much. He called Michael in his office.

- Michael, there's a rumour going around that you're playing favourite with an American nurse...

- Playing favourite? I like working with her, that's all

- But the French nurses are complaining that you're making her work too much...

- You've got to be kidding me! They're complaining because I'm making an American nurse work to hard?

- Apparently…

- Come on Benoit! It's ridiculous...

- Try to diversify the help from the nurses...

- Ok. But Candy and I are in harmony; we understand each other without having me to spell it out...

- You're in love with her...

- I don't see what love got to do with it...

- It would explain why you can't stay away from her...

- Listen, the main thing here is that we're doing our work, is it not?

- You're right. But if your partnership makes your work suffer, you'll have to end it...

- Thanks Benoit. I have to go now...

- By all means, go!

Benoit looked at him leave; Michael was really in love with Candice White Andrew!

During their daily lunch, Michael told Candy about the rumours going around.

- Let me get this straight, they went to complain because you're making me work too much? Asked Candy

- Yes, it's their way of saying that I only like to work with you...

- Is that true? She asked

- Yes Candy. Soon the three months training at the hospital will be over and you're going to start going on the battle front after and sometimes even during fights...I'm going to miss you. And, you're an excellent nurse...

- I'm going to miss you too, Michael

- Candy do you want to come and spend the holidays with my family and me?

- With pleasure, but I don't know my schedule yet...

- Let's make those rumours true, you've got the same schedule as me and we will be free at the same time...

Candy smiled. Michael was inviting her at his house, his parents’ house... Meet the parents...a big step in a relationship, that didn't bother her all.

- So, that's perfect, Michael, we'll spend Christmas eve together in your family. I accept with pleasure.

- Thanks, Miss Daredevil...

Candy got a lot of cards from her friends, and her two mothers; Miss Pony and Sister Maria and all her little friends from the Pony house, not to mention, Jimmy and Tommy. She had already sent the Christmas cards in advance because of the war, the mail distribution was a little slower during the holidays in normal time, but now with the war...

The Red Cross organised a reception for its volunteer and their friends could also be there. For the holidays, they'd received a bigger shipment for the holidays; more than the medical supplies; there were food, beverages, clothes, toys for the needy children and orphans. Candy got a note from Albert. He had also sent medicines , food etc. for the orphans of war. Candy thanked him with all her heart. She was going to write him a long thank you letter. The Red Cross staff will go on Christmas morning to give the toys and the clothes to he war orphans and orphans in general. The needy will get some toys and clothes too.

Candy and her friends were all dressed in red, green and white, the colours of Christmas.

- Candy, when are you going at Michael's Asked Kelly

- He's coming to pick me up later, said Candy

- You're going in his family... to meet the parents...said Allyson

- I know it's a big step... said Candy

- Are you finally going to let him kiss you? said Kelly

- Kelly! Said Candy becoming bright as red

The three girls burst out laughing. Candy was so prude! Michael was a perfect gentleman; he never tried to kiss Candy. Their relationship was progressing slowly and surely, in silence. They were taking baby steps and Candy was grateful to him for that. It allowed her to get used to Michael and start to think about him in other terms... her heart needed to be loved and Michael seemed to love her and she was not indifferent to his charms.

Michael got there around 8 pm to go the Red Cross reception. They stayed there for an hour and then they went at Michael's parent's house.

- You think your parents are going to like me?

- Of course, they're eager to know you, "Miss Daredevil". I told them about you, more than a year ago when I came back from America...

- Oh... that's true, I risked my life for a stupid suitcase of clothes

- That's why you and your friend were not dressed properly... it was only to humiliate you. When I wanted to go and help you, Eliza told me to let you risk your life, and that if you broke your leg that would be good for you...

- I'm not surprised by her words, but I'm surprised she said that to you, whom she was trying to impress...

- It was like a cold shower to me, how could she be so heartless to that point?

- Towards me? She hates me...

- Why?

- I honestly don't know. It's since our first meeting...

- Too bad for her, you're a nice girl, you could've been a good friend for her

- It's nice of you to say that, Michael. thanks.

- I'm only speaking the truth. You're a very special young lady, Candy he said softly

They arrived at his parents' house and got in. Everybody greeted them warmly. The parents, whose mother was American, and Michael's brothers and sisters. There were also aunts, uncles and grandparents.

- Everybody, let me introduce you to Candy White Andrew, said Michael in French, she's American and she works with me at the hospital

- Pleased to meet you said Candy smiling

- Pleased to meet you said everybody in English

Mrs. Durand approached Candy.

- Michael, you've got the same taste for American girls as your father. She's absolutely charming. So you're Miss Daredevil?

- Michael can't stop talking about you said Mr. Durand

Candy blushed lightly and smiled.

- Mom, dad, please, said Michael

- My name is Amélie and this is Sarah, said Michael's sister

- I'm Marc said a young man

The other family members introduced themselves in French and English.

- Let's eat dinner said the grandmother, everything is ready...

They were all talking while they were having diner. Everybody was trying to speak in English because of Candy. They had a little turkey and not too much food because of the war, but it was enough. They were in a family atmosphere and they were happy. They had lost loved ones, friends, neighbours during this atrocious war, but they were happy to be alive a few days to the year 1916. The presents were not big, but it was the intention that counted. Michael gave Candy a little angel in porcelain.

- Oh Michael, how beautiful

- The patients at the hospital call you “the smiling angel" You give them the will to live. Merry Christmas, Miss Daredevil

- Thank you Michael. This is for you. Merry Christmas she said giving him a small pack with a scarf, hat and gloves she knitted herself with the help of Kelly

- Thank you Candy, he said hugging her

Michael took her back the next day because of curfew. She spent the night in the living room with the rest of the family. They had breakfast and Michael took her back to the dorm.

- Thanks again for this lovely evening, said Candy, I forgot for one evening that we're at war…

- The pleasure was all mine, Candy

- Merry Christmas Michael

- Merry Christmas Candy. I'll be there in a few hours to help you with the distribution of presents to the orphans

- Ok. See you later, then...

She hugged him a little and got into the dorm. She felt like kissing him, which surprised her a little. Terry had kissed her; he had stolen a kiss from her. She had hoped that he would kiss her again when she went to the premiere at New York... But then again, she had hoped for a lot of things when she went to New York...

In the beginnings of the afternoon, Candy went with Michael and her colleagues and other members of the Red Cross to the local orphanage to give presents to the kids. It was a good feeling to make those children happy. They didn't speak English, but there were interpreters. Candy thought about the orphans from the Pony house. Annie and Albert had taken care of them and Candy was grateful to them for that. To spend the holidays in this war atmosphere was a bitter-sweet sensation.

In the little room of dorm, Candy had her eyes opened. She was thinking about her life, at the orphanage, her separation with Annie, the Reagan’s turning her into a maid, Anthony, her prince who got her out of there...Terry... that she loved and that she had sacrificed ... She thought about the scene on the hospital stairs. "Be happy Candy...promise me you'll be happy, otherwise..."

“I have to be happy; otherwise Terry is going to blame himself for making me miserable... But happy...without Terry...yes I have to do it. Michael... ever since our encounter in Chicago, when he helped me to come down from the tower...he went back to war, he gave me the courage to continue the way I had traced for myself...I often thought about him and now to find myself with him here at war, where were facing death everyday, and where a lot of people are dying still in their teens... Michael, I'm going to start getting close to him, if he wants me of course."

On that new thought, about a possible future with Michael, she closed her eyes and went into a slumber without dreams.

Michael noticed the change in Candy's attitude. Was it possible? Did she share his feelings? He hadn't forgot about that young student-nurse who came down the tower with a rope and a suitcase in her hand. He went to help her and he had smelled the nice rose perfume she had on her. He had then, danced with her and was very happy during the little time they spent together. But he had to go back to the battle front, the same evening and they separated. He was sorry having to leave her so quickly, but a little reassured that they share the same goal...And he had found her again, a year later in the hospital where they had sent him, in Paris. She had literally took him to his word, because he had told her, when he helped her get down from the tower;

"Candy if you like to risk your life so much, you should put that to a better use..."

He smiled, she was an excellent nurse, and they made a good team. Was Candy giving a sign that he could now throw himself in the water? He decided to talk to her about it on the New Year's Eve when he was going to take her to the Red Cross party.

On December 31, 1915, Candy was in Kelly's room with Allyson and Kristina. It was the afternoon.

- So Candy, said Kristina, have you decided what you were going to do with your handsome doctor?

- I thought I wouldn't resist him, if he wants me, said Candy

- Finally! Said Kelly, it's about time!

- But maybe he doesn't think about me on those terms...

- Are you kidding? Asked Allyson, look at his eyes when he looks at you

- You think he also thinks about me..? I had my heart broken last year...

- Life goes on, Candy, said Kelly, try with the French doctor

- Ok. Thanks girls. I'm going to get ready. Michael is coming to pick me up for a little tête-à-tête before the party...

- He's going to make you his big declaration of love, said Allyson

- Yes, said Kristina, to start the New Year in beauty...

- In beauty? Said Candy in the middle of the war?

- That's why we have to make plans, it gives us hope, said Kelly

- Ok, see you later, said Candy getting out

Candy got ready and thanked Annie in her heart for the nice dresses she had bought for her. She put on a turquoise dress very elegant and arranged her hair in a nice up do. Michael came to get her, and they went to a little restaurant to talk. It was snowing lightly outside on this last day of the year 1915.

Michael was very handsome in his military uniform. They made really beautiful couple. They first talked about every day things. Then Michael took a serious expression.

- Candy...I like being with you

- Me too, Michael

- We face death everyday. Do we have the right to think about the future? We could die tomorrow...

- Like we could both be alive after the war...Michael, that's exactly why we have to live; because of the war. In the middle of this battle, having plans, gives us a little glimpse of hope

- You're right. Tell me about yourself personally. Your romantic life...

- You practically know everything about me expect that I had my heart broken a little more than a year ago... and it was very hard for me.

- That's why you came to war...

- They say there's a reason for everything... I've always wanted to help others and the training I received helped me prepare myself for war

- And did that helped you forget?

- I will never forget him. But it helped keep my mind occupied instead of being down in the damps

Michael was a little sad, she had had her heart broken; she had loved someone else. Candy saw that he was a little discouraged; she decided to help him out a little.

- Michael, that young man was part of my life, but life continues. You wanted to ask me something?

He looked at her with so much love and Candy understood what her friends were talking about.

- Candy ever since our first encounter in Chicago, I've often thought about you...I never thought I would find you here in Paris in the same hospital as me. You're a fascinating young lady, who's not afraid of danger and came here to help out others. I'm in love with you...

- Oh Michael...

- I hope that you can find a place in your heart for me and I will be the happiest man on the planet

- Michael, I've often thought about you since our little stunt...and I'm very happy to have found you alive in the middle of this war. Your words gave me the courage to continue the way that I traced for myself. Here we are reunited by the same goal, help the wounded of war, in the same country.

Candy stood up from her chair and went to sit on the one next to him.

- Michael, I was burned by love; I suffered a lot, emotionally. Those last few months with you, gave me the will to love again and be loved...

Michael was in seventh heaven.

- Oh Candy! He said getting closer to her and hugging her

- I'm in love with you too, Michael, she said with a soft voice

Michael looked for her lips. Even though they were in a public place, with the war, Candy had other things in her mind than the shame of being kissed in public... She felt Michael's tongue look for hers and she instinctively responded to the kiss and she was transported in a tornado of delicious sensations, warm and wonderful. She put her arms around his neck to get even closer to him. When they finally stopped, they were breathless.

- I have the impression that we forgot that we were in a public place said Michael

- Me too... she said with a smile

- Let's go to the party, it's time, honey...

- Ok, let's go!

The party, organised by the Red Cross and the hospital was in the hospital's dining room. The wounded that were able to walk, were there and those who were amputated were in a wheel chair. For a few hours, everybody tried to forget or even pretend that the war didn't exist. Michael didn't leave Candy for a second. The French nurses were not happy. One in particular who's name was Gisele Collet; she had a thing for Michael and thought that Candy was unpleasant. Candy was in the ladies' room.

- Here's "Little Mary Sunshine"

- Good evening Gisele said Candy, Happy New Year!

- You must be proud of yourself! You've managed to put your hands on a French doctor

- He's half American

- I wanted him...

- I'm sorry Gisele. Michael and I are in love... You'll have to get use to seeing us together, if you're not already...Happy New Year said Candy leaving.

She went back to Michael and spent an excellent evening. The year 1916 arrived saddened by the cloud of war. A lot of people didn't see the dawn of 1916 and a lot won't see the dawn of 1917. A new page was turned for Candy, a new year, a new love.

Candy wrote her friends to give them some news. She talked about the routine and also about Michael. Annie remembered Michael so did Archie. But Patty didn't know him. Annie and Archie told her about the incident.

- Whoa, said Patricia, wait until Eliza hears about this!

- She's probably going to blow a gasket, said Archie

- That's not what she hoped for when she humiliated us, said Annie

They were at the Andrew Manor where Neil and Eliza spent a lot of time with the great Aunt. Eliza arrived with her brother.

- You've got mail from the stable girl? She didn't get killed by a stray bullet yet? Said Eliza

- Shut up Eliza! Said her brother. Is Candy all right? He asked Archie

- Yes, she's fine, Neil, Said Archie, in fact, she's more than all right

- Eliza, said Annie, do you remember Michael, the French officer and your friend's cousin?

- Of course, Candy made a spectacle of herself by coming down the tower like a monkey...

- After you and your brother played a dirty trick on her again, said Archie

- Well, said Annie, Candy found him in France, they're working in the same hospital and they have fallen in love...

- WHAT???!!! Yelled Eliza

- Yes Eliza, you remember how Candy had caught his eye here, because of you, for that matter...

- The slut! Said Eliza angry

- Put a sock in it, Eliza! Said Neil, she's going out with Michael now?

- Yes, said Annie, and she seems really happy

- I'm very happy for her, can you tell her that? Said Neil

- Why don't you tell her yourself? Said Archie, I can give you her address

- Thanks, said Neil

- Neil, your crush on Candy is not over yet? Give me a break! You're becoming ridiculous! Said Eliza

- Why? Because I have feelings? Said Neil

- At least he's got a heart, said Annie, you don't have one!

Eliza left the room and slammed the door. Candy and Michael? Why does she always have the best ones? Anthony, Terry and now Michael...

Albert also learned by a letter from Candy that she had a new boyfriend. He was sad, because he wanted to be that boyfriend. But he was happy she was moving on with her life.

"Candy, I love you so much, said Albert in his head, but, be happy"

Web  Top
21 replies since 13/5/2007, 03:46   481 views