Fanfictions' reading corner/Le coin de lecture des fanfictions

IT'S OVER...

« Older   Newer »
Gentillefille
icon12  view post Posted on 22/7/2009, 19:33 by: Gentillefille     +1   -1

Reine du drame à la plume diversifiée qui ne cesse de produire toujours autant, malgré les ans et ses idées qui autant en emporte le vent!

Group:
Administrator

IT'S OVER...

Chapter 5
"The Queen of my thoughts"

The weather was nice on the boat that was taking Terrence Grandchester to the war. He now had very very short hair, no more longs locks. He didn't know what he was looking for, he didn't know what he wanted, all he knew it's that instead of wasting his life drinking, it was better to use it to a more noble cause, a more necessary cause... The war maybe was not the ideal cause, but... it was better than to drown his sorrow in alcohol... He thought about Susanna whom he had left in tears. He was also doing it for her; he had to search for his path. His life was not going the way he wanted it to, there was a void, and empty spot, a very very big empty spot...Every time he was fulfilling his marital duty, he was forced to imagine another one in his arms, it was disloyal to his wife, but it was either that or abstinence... And his wife loved him so much that she would rather have a husband in her bed that was dreaming of another, than no husband at all.

He often thought about her, his love of yesteryear, his lost love...often? No... Not a day had gone by without him thinking of her... she was the Queen of his thoughts... to live without her, was like living without his heart, she was his heart, she was his soul. Maybe the horror of the war was going to change his mind.

They arrived at the military camp early in the morning, after a week of crossing and a long trip by truck. The military camp was mostly big tents and the newcomers got the ones left free by either the soldiers that died at war and those wounded or those who were amputated. The soldiers who were there before were having fun making the newbies do some physical exercises but with water pouring on them, for example, or sometimes more amusing, like singing a love song, or opera song... It was mostly to relax them, because it won't take long for them to realize that their work was far from being a party of pleasure.

Terry met a young lieutenant who was also one of the doctors in the camp, and they became good friends. They talked about all and nothing, even about Shakespeare.

- I'm an actor said Terry

- Grandchester... said the doctor...oh yeah! I didn't recognize you without your hair!

They burst out laughing. Terry himself had trouble getting used to it.

- But what the heck are you doing here in France? Don't you have a wife? A career?

- Yes, but I felt the need to come here and fight with the others, said Terry

- Like it was your duty...I was like you in the beginning...

- In the beginning? What about now?

- I just got married and I'm not too sure that risking my life is worth it...

- You got married in war time?

- My father has influence... I didn't want to wait the end of the war... you never know what could happen... I couldn't let her get away again...Miss Daredevil...

- Miss Daredevil?

- Yes, that my nickname for her, she loves risk...

- So she's here in France… what does she do?

- She's a nurse and goes often goes on the battle front to get the wounded soldiers

- That's dangerous indeed, said Terry

- She's close to death everyday...

- Like you in fact...

- Yes

- Well you're a perfect match... you both love the risk

- And I love her more than anything...

- Do you have a picture?

- No...But I have to introduce you to her one day...

- Ok...

The two men spent a lot of time talking about their lives.

- What about you? Are you married? Asked the doctor

- Yes, but it was more by duty than for love... said Terry

- By duty? Did you get her into trouble...

- Yes, but not in the way you're thinking...

Terry told him his story in brief.

- Oh... so you gave up the one you really wanted, the one you loved more than anything... I’m sorry buddy

- Thanks. That's why you're lucky, you've got the one you love. Don't ever let go of her and put her first, before anything

- Thanks for the advice. My wife passes before everything...

Other soldiers arrived and they started to talk about their wives, fiancée, girlfriends...

Later in his bed, Terry was thinking about the doctor and his happiness with Miss Daredevil... He too had a Miss once upon a time, his Miss Freckles, his Miss Tarzan...the Queen of his thoughts, because she literally occupied his thoughts... He regretted for the thousandth time not to have chosen her. Why didn't he talk to her that day at the happy clinic? He let Albert convince him not to talk to her...he should've talked to her, he should've told her that he had made a big mistake and that they had to live together...but he went back to his duty and his obligation...

Candy was reading her friends’ letter and she was surprised to find one from Neil. He’d finally decided to write her and get some news. She hadn't told her friends yet that she had gotten married. They will be happy but they were going to regret not being there. She wrote them each a long letter telling them about her marriage and how much she was happy with her wonderful husband.

The French nurses were even angrier with Candy after they learned about her marriage to the handsome French doctor. But Candy continued her work like there was nothing to it. She was leaving in Michael's apartment and sometimes, she and Michael, had Allyson, Kelly and Kristina over to spend the night.

Annie had just came down for breakfast when she saw Candy's letter on her spot.

- Oh... Candy wrote, she said to her parents

She opened the envelope quickly to read the long letter her friend wrote and she couldn't believe her eyes.

- What? She yelled, I'm going to kill her!

- What's happening Annie? Asked Mrs. Brighton worried

- Candy got married! I'm going to kill her! She repeated

- She got married? To whom?

- The doctor and lieutenant Michael Durand...

- The young officer from the tower incident? Said Mrs. Brighton who knew about it

- Yes, they met again in France and…

- He married her! Isn't that good? Said Mrs. Brighton

- No! She got married without me, her sister and best friend!

- Oh, that's all? Said Mrs. Brighton

- Annie, said he father, they're in the middle of the war, close to death everyday...they practically live from day to day

- You're right; they didn't want to run the risk of not being together ...Oh... I'm going to see Archie and Patty; they must have received a letter from Candy too…

Annie went to get Patricia and they went to see Archie at the manor where the subject of conversation was Candy’s wedding. Albert was a little hurt but he was happy for her. Archie was talking about it when Annie and Patty arrive followed by Neil and Eliza that they met at the door.

- You’re talking about Candy, said Eliza, she’s dead this time I hope?

- Eliza, said Neil, you really don’t have a heart!

- No, Eliza, she got married said Annie

- Married? Said Eliza getting pale, to whom?

- To Michael said Patty, Candy should thank you… the trick you played on her gave her a handsome husband, a doctor and an officer in the French army!

- She married Michael? said Neil

- On February 14th, St. Valentine’s Day said Archie. By the way Neil, here’s your letter…

- Thanks, said Neil

- You wrote her? Said Eliza, what’s got into you?

Neil didn’t answer and he went to read Candy’s letter in corner the living room. Eliza didn’t insist and got out of the room angry. Candy married Michael? It was because of her that they’d met! NO! NO! NO!!! Why was she so lucky? Michael was a good catch! Darn!

The others continued to talk about the incident. Candy was apologizing to Albert, because she didn’t ask for his permission. Albert smiled; Candy’s first thought was always for others. She will never change and the wounded of war were very lucky to have her as a nurse.

- Archie, said Annie, I wanted to wait for Candy to set our wedding date, but I think she would understand if we get married without her

- You’re right, let’s get married! Life is too short to wait

- So when is the big date? Asked Albert

- In a month, said Annie smiling

- Neil, said Archie, since my brother is not here, would you be my best man?

- I would be honored, said Neil smiling

Ever since Candy’s departure, Archie was getting along better with his cousin. Their worries about the object of their affection; Candy had in a way made them closer… Albert was happy to see that Neil had grown up and he now had the sense of family and responsibilities. Eliza didn’t seem to want to change. But she will grow up one day; in her time… let’s hope that she will also have the sense of family…

- Patty, said Annie, since Candy is not here, would you be my maid of honor?

- Of course, said Patty, great!

- Let’s go see my mother to tell her the news! See you later honey!

The two friends left and Albert stayed with his nephews.

- I wanted to talk business, said Albert

- Me too, said Neil…, I have a proposition…

- Go ahead Neil, I’m listening said Albert

- Europe has been at war for 2 years… and we don’t know yet when the war will be over…. Said Neil, but whatever happens, Europe will be amputated by all the material damage and financially…Even if the United Stated enter the war, it will not happen here on our land…

- What did you have in mind? Asked Archie

- Well this horror, the damages, are giving us the opportunity to become more powerful… we have the occasion to expand our market. Europe will need America to get back on it’s feet

- Neil, you’re a good business man, said Albert

- Yes, Archie, that’s a good idea…

- So, let’s get to work…?

The soldiers were in the trench and the army enemy was attacking them. The bullets and bombshells noise was deafening. The leaders of the military offensive had to scream to give orders to their soldiers. The doctor were moving and trying to help those wounded and reduce the damages as best as they could. But for those who got bullets in dangerous areas, it was no use. The doctor who were used to it, still felt as bad as in the beginning of the war.

The fight continued for a while and towards the end, one of the doctors stood up to help one wounded soldier, and he got a bullet in the chest and fell down, near the other victims that were lifeless. The others didn’t realize immediately that the doctor had fallen. When the fight was over, it let its place to the bitter taste of desolation. The wounded that were still alive were moved to hospitals.

Terry started to look for his friend… it was not their first fight, they had had a lot; and they used to reunites in the evening to talk about it and the doctor will stitch them up in front of a nice cup of tea and trying to talk about the fight with humour. But this time, he didn’t see him anywhere. He looked for him for a while and he finally found him among the corpses, left for dead. Thank God! He had lost a lot of blood.

- Doc, said Terry, you can’t abandon us….

- Terry, said the doc weakly

- Don’t talk… come on, were going to stitch you up fine, he said taking him

The members of the Red Cross were there with their trucks and their doctors to take care of the wounded until they got to the hospitals. The doc, was in one of the trucks and Terry got the permission to go with him.

- Maybe it’s too late, said the doc, take care of the other wounded….

- You’re one of the wounded too, doc said Terry, hang in there, think about your wife, your Miss Daredevil, you have to stay alive to see her

- Yes…my darling…tell her…that…I love her

- You’ll tell her yourself said Terry, come on doc, it’s going to be ok

The doc fainted, tired and weakened by the loss of blood and the pain from his wound. The trip to the hospital seemed so long to Terry, he didn’t want to lose his friend.

They finally arrived at the hospital, and the medical staff come running to take care of the soldiers. When the doctors and the nurses came to get the doc, one of the doctors said;

- My God it’s doctor Durand! Go and get his wife!

- Ok, doctor, said the nurse going inside the hospital

Terry got in and went to the waiting room. It was the general panic when wounded soldiers arrived.

Candy was in the staff room and she was getting ready to go help, when Kelly arrived running.

- Candy…

- Yes, I’m coming….

- No, wait, I’ve got some bad news…

- What? She asked worried

- It’s Michael…

- Michael? Said Candy almost whispering

- He was wounded by a bullet…he’s in the operating room

- Oh my God, NO!

- You can stay, the others will understand…

- Yes…but no, Kelly, I have to continue my work she said with tears in her voice, I can’t let my emotions disturb me… that’s what were taught

- Candy, are you sure?

- Yes…let’s go!

She followed Kelly and they went to take care of the wounded soldiers and after several hours, the calm was back. Candy was finally able to see her husband, who was in post-op room recuperating. She went to his bed side and she found him still asleep.

- Oh, Michael, you scared me, my love, she said putting her head on his chest very softly so she won’t hurt him. Wake up quickly, I love you. I missed you and you come back to me on a stretcher? Is that so that we couldn’t do anything or what?

She laughed quietly and she continued to talk when Kristina arrived.

- Candy, the young soldier that saved Michael wants to know if he can see him

- Oh yes of course, I wanted to thank him for saving my husband…

Terry was in the hallway asking for information on his doc’s health.

- The doctor? Said the nurse, his wife will come and talk to you, here she is, said the nurse pointing her finger to the wife in question

- Mrs. Durand, he’s over there said a woman’s voice

Terry turned around to see the Miss Daredevil and he couldn’t believe his eyes!

- Oh thank you, said Mrs. Durand walking towards Terry who had just turned around

She stopped, frozen on the spot. He had closed-cropped hair, but it was him, Terry, her Terry!...well, Susanna’s Terry now…but… she will never forget his deep blue eyes in which loved to drown herself…

- Terry, she said

He was looking at her like if she were a vision; the Queen of his thoughts was there in front of him… Oh my God! She was so beautiful, her freckles…but what in the hell was she doing there in the middle of the war instead of being in security in America? Mrs. Durand? No, he must’ve heard wrong…she couldn’t be the doc’s wife! But still…

- Candy, he said

Candy followed her instincts; in the middle of this war, after hours of taking care of the wounded of this senseless war, it was not the time to refrain her impulsions. She ran jump at his neck! Terry hugged her back, too happy to have the one he dreamed about night and day, the Queen of his heart in his arms. He felt his heart exploding with joy. He closed his eyes. Candy was in Terry’s arms, Terry’s arms! She never, in a million years, would’ve thought being in his arms again. Terry Terry, that she loved so much… Terry that has saved her husband… her husband…Michael…she let go of him.

- Terry…she said softly, you’re the one that saved Michael?

- I found him…

- Thank you, she said hugging him again

- You’re Miss Daredevil?

- Yes

- He never did tell me your given name…he said

- He told you about me?

- Of course…Mrs. Durand he said ironically, you’re really a daredevil like he said. You like putting your life in danger?

- But…

- What the heck are you doing here? He asked suddenly, you like hearing the bullets flying over you head?

- You’re one to talk! What did you come to do here, help the French to kill the enemy?

- You could’ve stayed in security in America….

- Yes… but I’d rather be here helping taking care of the wounded of this senseless war… you’ve got a problem with that?

- Yes, you could get yourself killed…

- You too for that matter! It’s not your problem to worry about me anymore, anyway! She said with anger, don’t you have a wife?! You left her to come and risk your life?

- Candy…

- I’m Michael’s wife and he will worry about me!

- I will never stop worrying about you…

- Michael’s fine. The operation went well, thank you, she said ignoring his last remark

- Can I see him?

- Of course, follow me…

He followed her to Michael’s bedside. She sat on a chair next to the bed and she took his hand.

- Michael, she said lovingly, wake up my love…

Terry felt like they were sticking a knife in his heart. Candy was tender with another man, her husband! She was tender with her husband! She was married…to his best friend!!! Destiny couldn’t have been more cruel to him…the Queen of his thoughts was also Michael’s!!

Michael moved his eyes and he finally opened them, he smiled weakly.

- Miss Daredevil?

- Yes, chéri, I’m here, my lieutenant, said Candy smiling

- It’s good to see you… I’m sorry for worrying you…

- Stop saying nonsense, I’m here for you

- I missed you, chérie…

- I missed you too… after all those weeks, you come back on a stretcher?

- I know, it’s not fair…but I can have a little kiss, can I?

- Of course my love…

Candy leaned and kissed him on the lips for a longtime. Terry who was looking at the scene the heart broken, wanted to die. Assisting to a loving moment between Candy and Michael, his best friend… Why was fate set upon making him suffer? Every time Michael was talking about the woman he loved, he had no idea that it was the same woman he loved! Oh Love when you have us…!

When the lovebirds finally stopped…

- Michael, the young soldiers that saved you is here, he wants to see you…

She didn’t know why she didn’t tell him she knew him, that he was her old love. Michael was not in the best of shape, he didn’t need to know that. He was friend with Terry that had just saved his life. During this time of war, we needed all the friends we could have and to make Michael hostile towards Terry now, would be useless. The atmosphere was already as tense as it was. Terry was so upset that he didn’t say anything either… Michael had just got out from surgery where he almost died, so that news would only make him more ill… So they kept silent, both of them about their past relationship.

- Terry…come! Said Michael You’ve met my Miss Daredevil?

- Yes, said Terry, she’s absolutely charming

Candy felt funny to be in the same room as her husband and the love of her life; the sensation was really weird.

- Yes, she’s great, isn’t she? I wished you were with the one you love here… even though there’s danger… it’s good to be with the one you love said Michael

Candy didn’t dare look at Terry, and this last one had a nervous laugh… the scene was getting weirder by the second!

- I will come back on the battle front after a few days of vacation, said Michael, who didn’t seem to realize the tense atmosphere in the room

- Don’t worry about it, just get well said Terry

- When are you going back?

- Tomorrow morning, said Terry

- Great! You’re going to spend the night with my wife!

That innocent declaration, sounded really eerie to Candy and Terry’s ears.

- No, I can find a room in a inn said Terry

- Nonsense! You’re my friend, you saved my life. I owe you that

- No, you don’t owe me anything…

- Come on Terry, if you hadn’t look for me… and you could keep Candy company

- Michael, said Candy, there’s no way I’m leaving your bedside…

- I’m fine, my love. You have to sleep in your bed, not on a chair…

- But Michael…

- Don’t argue, Miss Daredevil… go spend the night with Terry at our house…

Candy knew it was not good to get him agitated, he had to remain calm.

- Ok, honey, she finally said, I’m going to take Terry to our place. Now, you get some rest. I’ll be here first thing in the morning…

- Take your time, Terry will be there…spend a little time together, said Michael

That was getting ridiculous! Michael had no idea, how what he was saying sounded! They stayed for a little while and since it was late, Candy and Terry were finally leaving.

- Goodbye, chéri said Candy kissing her husband

- Good night, Miss Daredevil said Michael kissing her back

- Goodnight doc, said Terry

- Good night artist! Have fun with my wife!

When they got out of the room, Terry knew the situation was a little uncomfortable…a little? He said;

- Candy, I can find a room in an inn…

- Don’t be ridiculous, Terry. Michael insisted…

- But it’s a little too weird. We should’ve told him the truth

- And make him more ill than he is? He needs calm, not worries…

- It was funny to hear him telling us to have a fun together…

- No kidding! Let’s go Terry, it’s very late. It’s not too far, we’re going to walk.

They walked in silence to hers and Michael’s apartment.

Web  Top
21 replies since 13/5/2007, 03:46   481 views