Fanfictions' reading corner/Le coin de lecture des fanfictions

IT'S OVER...

« Older   Newer »
Gentillefille
icon12  view post Posted on 22/7/2009, 22:15 by: Gentillefille     +1   -1

Reine du drame à la plume diversifiée qui ne cesse de produire toujours autant, malgré les ans et ses idées qui autant en emporte le vent!

Group:
Administrator

IT’S OVER...

Chapter 7
“The stray bullet”

In New York, Susanna was in seventh heaven. She was going to have Terry’s baby! Even if he wasn’t there to share her joy, he had sent her a telegram of congratulations. Her mother didn’t agree with her. For her, Terry should’ve come back and stay with her daughter and their future baby.

- But why is he risking his life at war? Instead of being here and take care of you in your condition…

- Mom, Terry married me, like you wanted to, he gave up the one he loved. I’m going to have his baby… yes, he’s at war but I pray for him everyday. He’s fulfilling his duty, and he’s going to come back when the war is over and he will continue his duty… as a father and a husband

But what she was not telling her mother was that her husband had to literally think about another woman, to be able to fulfill is duty… But her friend Karen knew about it. She often talked to her about it.

- Susanna, are you happy?

- I have Terry, Karen, so I have everything I need…

- Susanna, he calls you “Candy”, when he makes love to you! Said Karen outraged

- I know he would never love me like he loves her…but it’s either that, either no physical contact at all…and I love him so much… and I’m so happy when he…

- …calls you “Candy”?

- Karen…please, stop raining on my parade

- Susanna, it’s not sane, what you’re living. It’s an illusion…

- But the baby is concrete

- Yes… you should thank Candy….said Karen ironically

- Karen

- You should see a psychiatrist, talk about your problems…

- I’m not crazy, Karen, I’m in love

- Yes, apparently you’re confused….well. Ok, you have to stay calm for the baby and if you’re happy…like you said…I can only support you…

Susanna continued to live on a cloud. It made her happy and it stopped making her think that her husband didn’t love her. The baby… Terry’s baby, he will never abandon her, now that she was going to have his baby…

Time passed and it was the holidays again. Candy spent her second Christmas under the bullets; with Michael’s family. Michael’s mother had taken some orphan kids under her wing. The house was full. Her family had sent her some foods for the holidays and she wanted to share it with her some of the orphans from the war. She had organized a program to take some of the orphans during the holidays with other rich families, whom, despite the war, could afford it. So a lot of war orphans were spending the war in some foster families. Candy was touched by Michael’s mother’s and the other families’ generosity. She went again with her colleagues and Michael to help the orphans at the orphanage. Albert, Archie and Neil had sent her toys and food for the orphans. Those at the Pony house were taken care of by Annie. Candy was happy that Annie didn’t forget about the kids at the Pony house, she remembered how happy they were when they woke up on Christmas morning with the other children and found that “Santa Claus” had come and had been very generous, because they’d been good.

As usual the Red Cross organized a New Year’s party and also invited the soldiers from the front, among them Michael and Terry. Candy and Terry still hadn’t told Michael that they knew each other before, that they were very close and they would’ve been married without Susanna’s accident. They were saying to themselves; why worry Michael needlessly? It was over between them for good and nothing will ever happen between them again. They were respecting their mutual marriage vows.

Candy was with Michael when they met Terry and other soldiers…

- Hello Terry, said Michael who was holding Candy by the waist

Terry could say in his head a thousand time that he was used to se his Freckles married to another man, but every time, it was like they were sticking a knife in his heart. He never showed it, obviously. When Candy came to get wounded soldiers at their camp and she was kissing Michael goodbye…It hurt him so much! How could she have forgotten about him already? Did she ever love him? They never actually declare their flame to each other, it went without saying… he had kissed her and he had told her he had real feelings for her. They mutually slapped each other… he smiled every time he thought about that… But the kiss was good, so good despite the slapping, he never regretted his gesture, and now it turns out that it’s going to be the only time he’d kissed her…He wanted to kiss her so much when she came to New York for the premiere, but the Susanna matter had overwhelmed him…he knew he had a choice to make, and getting close to her would have made their separation harder… But why didn’t he choose her? Why did he let himself be manipulated by Mrs. Marlowe and Susanna? The guilt… had made him irrational! He had turned to the bottle and unconsciously returned to Candy and she will never know about it… she had gave him the courage to live again…but…he should’ve talked to her, try to save their relationship, because he was lost, without her… he will never forgive himself for not talking to her. Damn you Albert! He came back to reality.

- Hi, doc, Mrs. Durand, he said very politely

Candy wanted to strangle him, but she smiled.

- Good evening, Mr. Grandchester, how’s your wife?

Terry looked at her knowing she was provoking him.

- She’s due to have the baby. She should be sending me a telegram one of these mornings…

Candy was hurt inside. Susanna was going to give a child to Terry…her Terry!!!

- What do you want, Terry a boy or a girl? Asked Michael

- I want a healthy baby said Terry

- You’re right, that’s all that matters, said Michael, my Miss Daredevil is taking her time getting pregnant…she doesn’t want to leave me to go back to America…But it’s great trying to get pregnant…

Candy became bright as red and Terry had a sickly smile.

- Oh honey, I’m making you blush said Michael…

- Good luck for the baby, Terry. Michael, you want to dance? Said Candy to hide her disturbance

- Of course, honey said Michael with a smile

She had to get away from Terry. She went to dance with her husband. Susanna was having Terry’s baby…It should’ve been her…in a perfect world.

Terry was thinking the same thing, he was happy he was having a baby, but he would’ve sold his soul to the devil, if he could, so the baby could be Candy’s, the woman he loved more than anything in the world, his best friend’s wife.

Candy and Michael went back next to Terry. Candy wanted to go near her friends, but Michael told her to wait. Since Terry didn’t have any date and that his wife was in America, Michael as a good friend, sent his wife to dance with Terry.

- Honey, can you dance with Terry? Please?

- Don’t worry about it, said Terry, I’m fine Michael

- Come on, it’s the New Year, said Michael, at least your wife won’t accuse you of having fun with another woman… it’s my wife, you’ve got my permission…

Candy didn’t know what to say and so did Terry. They complied…Michael of course didn’t realize what he was saying. He was innocent…he didn’t know that Susanna would have a very big problem to know that Terry was dancing with Candy, on the contrary! Candy and Terry went on the dance floor.

- This is getting ridiculous, said Terry, we should tell him the truth…

- No, Terry, you’re friends. It could ruin your friendship. In this time of war, we need all the friends we can get. We loose so many people everyday…

- But, what if he learns it from someone else? He’s going to feel betrayed, hurt and ridiculed…

- Terry, if you two weren’t friends, I would’ve told him…but he considers you his best friend…

- Me too. That’s why we have to tell him…

- But it’s been months… he probably confided in you. Imagine what it’s going to do to him. No, what he doesn’t know, won’t hurt him. And nobody knows about us here.

- You’re right, we should’ve told him from the beginning…

- If he knew, he wouldn’t have sent you to spend the night at our apartment… or dance with me now….

- And I wouldn’t have the pleasure of your company and the rare delight of having you in my arms for this dance, said Terry with a dreamy tone

Candy would never admit it out loud, but she liked seeing Terry and she liked spending all that time with him at the apartment and dance with him…to tell Michael the truth…

- Whatever we say now, or later, it’s going to sound fake and guilty said Terry

- We’re not doing anything wrong, Terry, we’re respecting our marriage vows

- You think he’s going to see it like that?

- I’m going to tell him one day or never, said Candy

- Ok, but I feel like I’m betraying him every time he talks about you… I want him to stop but at the same time, I want him to continue…

- Terry, stop, please

- I’m sorry Mrs. Durand. I’m stopping…

A young soldier approached them with a telegram for Terry. They stopped dancing and he read it. Candy was looking at him.

- Susanna had a baby boy….

- Oh… said Candy moved, congratulations…

- Thank you, Candy. I have a son…

Their dance was finished and she went near Michael. Terry went to see the other soldiers of his regiment, who congratulated him screaming. Michael went to congratulate Terry.

- Congratulations buddy! Said Michael, I bet you want to see your little one….

- Yes, of course! But it will have to wait…

- If you want to go, there must be a way said Michael, I have a lot of influence…

- Thanks Michael…we’ll see…said Terry

Michael went back near Candy who was talking with Dr. Banting, about sick children.

- I’m thinking of concentrating my research on children’s illnesses as soon as the war is over, said Dr. Banting

- But why not start right away? Said Michael

- I wanted to come and help the soldiers

- That’s very honorable, said Michael, but this war is making way too many victims…

- I think that if we’re destined to do big things, God will protect us and we’re going to get out alive from this war, said Candy, you have to be optimist…

- You’re real ray of sunshine, Miss Daredevil, you know that? Said Michael smiling

- Of course I know it, lieutenant, said Candy smiling

They burst out laughing. It was good to forget about the war during those few hours to celebrate the New Year. The New Year; the whole world and especially those affected by the war, had never really meant seriously to be a good year as much as during those war years.

Midnight came and everybody was kissing. Terry looked at the Queen of his thoughts kissing her husband. He had come to war to seek his way. He abandoned everything so he won’t fell off the wagon. To see all those soldiers, his friends dying one after the other, after brushing death practically everyday, had shown him that a lot of them were dying without living the 1/3 of what he had lived.

The year 1917 started the third year of this senseless war. Who had started the war? Well nobody really cared anymore, because all everyone touched by this war wanted, was for it to end. Who started it? Who’s winning? Who’s loosing? It didn’t matter, all that mattered was that horror be done for good.

The majority of men were at war, so the woman became the workers of the country. Some factories were making shells for the war… the woman might not be participating physically to the war, but by making those shells, that were going to be used to kill the enemy, it was like they were throwing the shells themselves. The Unites States was not officially at war, and they took advantage of the situation to impose themselves as a powerful economical source… one of the signs the America imperialism…

In March of 1917, the Germans torpedoed three American ships and there were about a hundred and something victims, which provoked the official entry of the Unites States in the Big War… it officially became worldwide after that.

Candy continued her work and continued to see Terry from time to time with Michael, without telling her husband that he was the man she loved, that had broken his heart.

Going to the military camp to get the wounded soldiers, brushing death everyday, Candy ended up getting really hurt. It was around the end of July 1917. She was on the battle front after fight with the Germans. While they were helping the wounded soldiers, checking their pulse to see if they were still alive, some shots were heard from afar or at close range. While Candy was standing up to lift a wounded soldier, she felt a very strong pain on her chest.

- Oh…she said in a whisper

She looked at her chest; she saw the blood maculating her white uniform.

“I’m hit, she said to herself, Oh my God!”

She felt her strengths leaving her, and she collapsed on the unanimated bodies of soldiers around her and she let go of the soldier she was helping. In an instant, she went from helping the wounded to being a victim.

Kristina saw her fall and she looked, she saw the blood maculating her uniform. She panicked and screamed:

- CANDY!!!!

Kelly looked at Candy and she screamed;

- CANDY IS HIT!! Quick some help!

After taking the wounded soldiers to the truck, they took Candy to the truck as well. Michael was with a moving hospital visiting other war camps. Candy was taken with the other wounded, and she was operated on a little quickly, with the pressure of the war, and the number of wounded…some didn’t get the chance to survive until their turn and just expired. Candy was taken the post operating room.

Candy was feeling at peace, her slumber seemed lethargic, it felt good and she didn’t want to wake up from it…Wake up to what? The horror of the war? To see all those young soldiers die for reason they don’t even begin to understand? No, the slumber, the white light…yes…but what about Michael? No, the light, the light, she had to follow the light…

Candy was loosing her life, little by little… her friends were trying to send a message to Michael, to rush him over, but he might arrive too late. He’s going to be devastated.

Terry was getting treated for a flesh wound, and he was going to see how his comrades from his regiment were doing. He heard Candy’s friends talk in English.

- You think that they will find Michael on time?

- They have to; otherwise he’s going to miss his wife…

- The poor thing, she was so full of life, no, I can’t believe that our little Mary Sunshine is leaving us!

“What were they talking about? Asked Terry to himself, there’s only one way to find out…”

And he turned around and asked the nurses;

- You’re talking about Michael Durand the doc?

- Yes, you know him? Asked Kristina

- Yes, he’s often at my camp and in my regiment, he’s a friend…

- So you know where he is? Asked Kelly

- He’s with the moving hospital near Verdun…

- Oh… We have to find him at once, said Allyson

- Why? Asked Terry

- His wife…started Kristina

Terry’s heart skipped a beat. It couldn’t be anything good.

- Candy? Asked Terry

- You know her? Asked Kristina

- Yes, it’s Michael’s friend …Terry that’s it? Said Allyson

- Yes. Something happened to Candy? He asked panicked

- Yes, said Kelly, she was hit by a stray bullet

- OH MY GOD!!! He screamed, how is she?

- The bullet was very close to her heart. The hospital did everything they could according to the circumstances of war said Kelly

- What do you mean? Asked Terry

- That the bad sanitary conditions… she has a very high fever due to an infection… she’s leaving us, unfortunately

- WHAT???!!! WHERE IS SHE??? He asked

- But only her husband and the medical staff can see her, said Kristina

- Let me see her, said Terry, I beg you…

Candy’s three friends looked at Terry. He seemed so devastated and Candy was going to die…

- Ok, said Kelly, the French nurse is going to yell at us but…come with us

- Thank you said Terry

They took Terry in the post-operating room. Candy was lying on the bed, her eyes were closed and her face was pale. His Candy was dying? No, if she died, he was going to die too. He got into the room and sat on a chair next to her bed. He took her hand. You could see the life leaving this being usually so full of life and cheerfulness.

- Freckles, Miss Tarzan, wake to tell me to shut up and to call you by your name…Candy wake up please. Don’t leave me, don’t leave me, Candy, I won’t survive it…You’re the one that gives me the will to live, without you, I’m nothing. You’ve survived more than that…don’t let a stay bullet that wasn’t even for you, get you that way… Candy, open your eye, fight this, come back to us. Candy, I love you, I loved you since the moment I first laid my eyes on you on that boat… I know were not together, but come back, it’s not your time, Candy…You’re the Queen of my heart…without you, I can’t live

Candy’s friends were looking at the scene, stunned. This soldier was in love with Candy, a married woman? Apparently yes, it’s dating from a longtime ago… they knew each other before! Candy’s lost love!

- What’s going on? Asked the French nurse that had just arrive

It was the head nurse.

- What is that soldier doing with Mme Durand?

- He came to say goodbye, said Kristina

- But he’s not a member of his family, said the head nurse

- It’s her brother! Said Kelly quickly

- Her brother? Really? Said the head nurse

- Look at them, said Allyson, Candy is married to Dr. Durand, he’s her brother

The head nurse was skeptical. She looked at the scene, and she could feel the love Terry was feeling for his “sister”.

- Ok, but tried not to make too much noise, said the head nurse

- Thank you, said Kristina

Terry continued talking to Candy.

In Candy’s peaceful slumber, she thought she saw Anthony.

“Candy…said Anthony”

“Anthony…Oh Anthony, I’m so happy to see you! I want to stay with you…”

“Me too, but Candy it’s not your time…said Anthony”

Or was it Terry’s voice?...Terry…Terry was married to Susanna…Why will she go back in a world where they were separated? No… the light is good…

“Candy, wake up, open your eyes” said Terry’s voice, please, Candy do it for me…”

It was Terry’s voice…But where was he? Terry…

“Open your eyes, Candy…said Terry’s voice”

Her eyes? Why were they so heavy? The eyes, yes, she had to open her eyes, but it was so difficult, and the slumber was so good and deep. So relaxing… but Terry’s voice was telling her to open her eyes…Terry…No, Terry was with Susanna, they had a little boy…No, he will never be with her…so what’s the use living?

“Anthony…she said in he head, I want to stay with Anthony…”

“Candy open your eyes, said Terry’s voice, I know we’re not together anymore. The circumstances have separated us, but I’m linked to you…don’t die, otherwise you’re killing me too… Candy come back, please…Freckles, don’t leave me…I beg you, I love you…you’re the Queen of my thoughts

Terry…Terry was asking her to open her eyes. Terry she loved so much. Terry…yes, she was going to open her eyes for Terry…to open her eyes…

- Terry? She said with a weak voice

- Candy! Don’t say anything, thanks for coming back… Go get a doctor, said Terry to her friends

- Oh…right away, said Kelly running out of there

The others went to see Candy closer.

- Candy you scared us, said Kristina

- Yes, Miss Daredevil, don’t ever scare us that way again, said Allyson

Candy smiled weekly. She was looking at Terry. She felt a wave of peace running through her when she looked at him. Candy was happy that he was the first person she saw when she opened her eyes.

- Terry? What happened?

- You were hit by a stray bullet said Terry

- Oh…

- What, you wanted to leave us so early? Said Terry smiling

- Your voice…Terry…I heard your voice…

- I had to beg you to come back, said Terry joking

She understood the she was dying and that Terry had called her back…Oh she loved him so much! She was looking at him with so much love. If Terry was doubting Candy’s love, he was sure of it at that moment, just by looking into her eyes.

- Thank you, she said softly

- Freckles, you don’t need to thank me, I couldn’t let you go, I couldn’t let you leave me. Even if we’re not together…I would rather have you alive, otherwise I couldn’t live either…I can’t live in a world where you’re not alive…

- Terry… she said with tears in her eyes

- Don’t say anything. I will tell Michael that you’re fine. I have to go… But I have to make sure that you’re ok.

The doctors arrived and were surprise to find her awake.

- Mrs. Durand! You scared us half to death! Your husband would’ve treated us of incompetents if you had died! Said one of the doctors

Candy just smiled. She had come back in a word where she was not with Terry… But she was happy to find Terry at her bedside, very very happy.

The doctors finished examining her.

- You’re out of danger, Mrs. Durand. Get some rest, and I don’t want to see you at work before at least a month!

- Ok, doctor said Candy smiling

The doctors left. Candy’s friends left her alone with Terry so he could say goodbye to her.

- Terry, she said tenderly, be careful

- Don’t worry about me. You have to get well, the wounded need you

- And you, your wife and child need you….

Terry smile, he would’ve given anything to be married to Candy…

- I know, she said looking at him with love, but things are what they are…

- I have to go back to camp. Take care, Miss Tarzan

Candy smiled, she didn’t argue anymore, she missed all those nicknames, she missed Terry. Tears started to come down her cheeks.

- Bye Terry, she said with eyes that were telling him “I love you”

- Bye Candy, she said with the same eyes…

Terry left and Candy closed her eyes. She was crying in silence, her lost love, her love of yesteryear, her present love that had brought her back to this life of suffering…this life without him.

Candy’s friends came to see her before they went back to the dorm.

- Candy, said Kristina, is Terry the man you love?

- He didn’t say anything, but he brought you back to life, said Kelly

- We could feel the chemistry in the air, said Allyson

- You guessed it, said Candy

- Why aren’t you together? You love each other so much, we could feel it…said Kelly

Candy told them what had happened with Susanna. Her friends couldn’t believe their ears.

- Candy, said Kelly, you’re way too generous for your own good!

- Never, I never would have left the man I loved to another woman, said Kristina

- Especially since you loved each other so much, said Allyson, what went through your minds?

- Sometimes, I wonder if we took the right decision, said Candy

- Of course not! Said Kristina, because in this story, only Susanna is happy, she’s got the man she loves and his baby!

Candy spent the majority of the night thinking about Terry, she had heard everything he had told her, she had also heard the new nick name he’d given her…

“You’re the Queen of my thoughts…”

She was the Queen of Terry’s thoughts, and she was the happiest woman in the world, when she thought about that…

Terry was in the back of the truck that was taking him back to camp and he was playing the harmonica. The harmonica that his Miss Freckles had given him on the pretend Pony hill. He was thinking about her eyes earlier, her emerald-green eyes, those eyes that had clearly told him that she loved him…Tears started to come down his cheeks. He was happy and sad at the same time; happy that she was alive, and sad because he was forced to live without her.

Web  Top
21 replies since 13/5/2007, 03:46   481 views