Fanfictions' reading corner/Le coin de lecture des fanfictions

IT'S OVER...

« Older   Newer »
Gentillefille
icon12  view post Posted on 22/7/2009, 22:48 by: Gentillefille     +1   -1

Reine du drame à la plume diversifiée qui ne cesse de produire toujours autant, malgré les ans et ses idées qui autant en emporte le vent!

Group:
Administrator

IT’S OVER…

Chapter 8
“Missing in action”

At the military camp the moving hospital had just came back. Michael learned from Terry that Candy was hit by a bullet.

- What? He yelled, how is she?

- She was in pretty bad shape, but she’s fine now, she’s out of danger, now

- Oh my God! He said upset, I have to go back to the hospital

He asked for permission and they gave him two days to go see his wife. He was very tired, but he ran to his beloved bedside.

Candy was sleeping lightly, she opened her eyes, and she saw her husband at her bedside, she smiled.

- Michael…

- Miss Daredevil, you want to drive me mad?

- My lieutenant, it was out of my control…

- Oh my love, he said hugging her softly so he won’t hurt her, Thank God, you’re all right

- I’m sorry, I didn’t want to worry you…

- You’re sorry? You’ve got to be kidding me! You’re the victim!

- But I worried you…

- I love worrying about you, Miss Daredevil, I love you and I don’t know what I would do if I lose you…

- I love you Michael, I’m here…

He looked for her lips and they kissed for a while. Michael spent the night on a chair at his wife’s bedside. He almost lost her and he had no intention of leaving her alone. He spent his two permission days on a chair in her bedroom, but he slipped into her bed during the night. They slept curled up in each other’s arms during the night. The French nurses were jealous, they wished Candy had died of her wound…but then again, you don’t always get what you want.

Candy spent 3 weeks in the hospital and one week home. Flammy who had heard the news came to visit her at the hospital.

- Candy, you scared me, said Flammy

- Come on Flammy, how could you make people believe that we’re at war if we don’t get hit by bullets? Said Candy smiling, how are you Flammy?

- I’m fine. Life is hard. A lot of my colleagues are dead…

- With America officially in the war, a lot more volunteer are arriving

- Yes, indeed, but it’s still sad…

- Yes. I came here to forget a about my broken heart, I wanted to throw myself into work…

- Candy, I don’t judge you In this horror, the reasons of our coming here seem so meaningless and futile

- You’re right, let’s just do our work and let’s pray this war finish soon…

In Chicago, life was continuing; Annie had given birth to a little boy called Anthony. She was overjoyed. He had nice blond hair and round cheeks. Annie asked Archie whey he didn’t call the baby Alistair.

- Anthony died first said Archie… we’ll call the next one Alistair…

Deep down inside, he couldn’t believe that his brother and best friend was dead. With Anthony, they were the 3 musketeers. Anthony was gone first, then Alistair his two best friends. Life had been cruel to him. Candy had given him the courage to continue to live, to get married. This war had killed his brother and Candy with all the courage for the world, went in the middle of that turmoil to help the wounded and to save lives at the same time. Annie with her love and now his baby, their baby had given him the will to live. He kissed his wife for a while. He took Anthony in his arms and he had tears on his cheeks.

- Thank you so much, Annie, for this wonderful joy and happiness you just gave me

- You’re very welcome my love, said Annie with tears in her eyes

She knew that Archie was thinking about his two brothers…life had not been kind to him.

Eliza married Alexander and she was expecting a blessed event too. Neil too had found his soul mate, he married her and she was also expecting a baby. Her name was Shannon Brown.

Patty stayed in Chicago, she went to see her parents from time to time, then she went back Chicago to be with her friends. She had a few suitors, but, she was not ready to open her heart to another man. Her grandmother was still there doing her little things, as usual and Patty every time had to keep an eye on her so she wouldn’t get into trouble. At least her grandmother was keeping her busy….

Albert continued taking care of the family business with his two nephews. Business was going well. And he was the most eligible bachelor; the richest in Chicago, all the young women were trying to make his acquaintance. But he wasn’t thinking about love; the one he loved had married another man…He was suffering in silence and he said to himself that he’d have to decide to get married one day and have a family…but…not yet.

With America officially in war, we could feel the tension in the air, but not like in Europe. The families had to look their young ones engage themselves to go fight for a cause they wouldn’t be capable of citing the principal points. People were worried and theywere a little tense. But Neil was right, it was a good opportunity for business and especially, since Europe was handicapped. Business was going strong, not only for the Andrew family but for America in general. The United States couldn’t resist the temptation, they took advantage and became the most powerful country in the world. The American imperialism was coming running.

Time passed and it was the holidays again. Candy was spending her third Christmas under the bullets. Albert sent her food and presents for the orphans and she was very grateful to him. For the New Year’s Day party, she and Michael were invited to a party; she didn’t see Terry, she was glad. Ever since the accident, and everything that had followed…the Queen of his thoughts…she still loved Terry but she was avoiding him. She had to make him believe that nothing was possible between them. So she became a little cold with Terry. This last one was a little surprised, he thought he had gotten closer to her… but it was probably the emotions of the moment, the fear of dying…Candy still loved her husband. That thought made him sad, but life went on.

The year 1918 finally arrived…the war continued, people were still dying. But with the Americans, there help to the allies, there was a little hope on the horizon.

The moving hospital was always very busy, the one where Michael worked all day, was not exception. It was the month of February; Michael wanted to go back to Paris to celebrate his second wedding anniversary. The conditions of work during the war made things more difficult and less sanitary. One night, when they were returning to camp, their truck was intercepted by the enemy army.

- We’re a medical team said the truck driver

- SHUT UP!!! Yelled the chief of the enemy troupe

Their truck was confiscated and gun shots were heard. Some soldiers were killed trying to defend the medical team. Some soldiers managed to run away. The enemy took the moving hospital on the other side of the frontier, to Germany by non-legal ways.

The soldiers that had ran away; arrived at their camp to announce the news that the moving hospital has been captured. Terry heard the news that his best friend and “rival” was made prisoner.

“Candy is going to be devastated, he thought”

His first thought was for his beloved.

Candy went on the battle front to get some wounded. The truck from the Red Cross had a mechanical problem, so they couldn’t go back to Paris. They went to the closest military camp, to spend the night. The doctors there, had to take care of the wounded soldiers, so it was surgery after surgery…Candy and her friends were busy for hours.

They were resting in a room where soldiers were talking and playing cards, checkers and chess. They were all talking about girls, how much they missed their wives or girlfriends. They were a little frustrated and their language was kind of crude. To see the nurses, women, only made their discussion more intense and crude. They were making comments and they were laughing out loud.

The nurses were way too tired to say anything. They served them tea and sandwiches by the camp’s cook.

- I wonder if Michael is here, said Candy

- You would’ve seen him, wouldn’t you? Said Kelly

- But this is the camp where he stays, said Candy, I’m going to ask the colonel

Candy asked around and they showed her where the colonel was.

- Colonel?

- Yes, come in Miss…

- Mrs. Durand said Candy

- Durand? Like the lieutenant?

- Yes, colonel. Do you know where my husband is?

The colonel remained silent. Candy started to be afraid; she knew it was not a good sign.

- Did something happen to my husband, colonel? Asked Candy

- The moving hospital where you’re husband worked, is missing in action….

- Missing in action? What do you mean?

- We don’t know where they are… they were made prisoners by the enemy army

Candy felt like the world was crumbling around her.

- OH MY GOD!!! NO!!!

- I’m sorry, Mrs. Durand…

- You’re searching for them, right? Asked Candy with tears in her eyes

- Mrs. Durand, we lose men everyday and we don’t get new recruits a lot…

- You’re telling me that you’re not going to try and find them…

- We don’t have the resource or the men to look for them…

- But then…

- Unless he finds a way to escape, if he’s still alive…the duty of a war prisoner is to escape when ever he gets the chance

Candy was crying. Michael, she couldn’t lose her husband, she needed him…

- Thanks colonel said Candy wiping her tears

She got out of the office completely devastated. She went outside in the night to cry. It was February, the second anniversary of their wedding…they haven’t lived together for a long time. And now…what if the enemy army killed him? No, Michael was a doctor… he’d taken the Hippocratic oath, which mean that he would take care of the enemy’s wounded soldiers. She continued crying against a tree…she had to do something.

- Something’s wrong? Are you ok? Said a voice

Candy was startled and she turned around.

- Terry…she said with a little voice

- Candy! What’s going on? Oh…you learned for Michael?

She instinctively fell into his arms and burst into tears. Terry kept her against him and let her cry for a while. She really did love her husband, and that hurt him.

- Terry, I don’t know what I’m going to do without him…it’s awful! Oh Michael!

She continued sobbing in his arms. Terry liked to have Candy in his arms, even if she crying over her husband, it was a rare delight he didn’t have in normal times. Candy really did love her husband; she was over him…every time he thought about that, it was like they were sticking a knife in his heart.

- Terry, I’m sorry, she said wiping her tears, I want to go look for him…

- What???!!!

- Yes, I want to go look for Michael…

- Candy, this is nonsense, you’re not thinking straight

- Maybe, but I can help him, find him… the army is not going to do anything, Terry. They hope he’s going to escape… what if he’s hurt? No, Terry, I’m going to go look for him…

- But you don’t know where to find him….

- In the enemy army…

- Candy you’re crazy!

- Maybe, but I have to do it, and I need help…Terry can you help me? Can you help me go save my husband? Please Terry, help me find the man I love…please Terry, help me…

Terry looked at her…torn. Help her save the man she loved…once upon a time, he was the man she loved…It hurt him to see her so worry and so in love with another man…He still loved her like the first day, if not more. And now she was in love with another one. Life had no mercy to have put him in contact with the Queen of his thoughts, only to discover that she loved another man!!! He looked her in the eyes…if he didn’t help her…he will have to protect her, he had to help her find her husband, the man she loved, and who was his best friend and rival.

- Ok, Freckles, there’s no way I’m going to let you look for your husband alone in this awful war time

- Are you sure? I can find someone else if it’s too hard for you. You’ll have to break a lot of rules….

- In love like in war, all shots are allowed…

Candy looked at her with fondness. He was always ready to help her even if it was to go look for her husband, whom he considered his rival.

- Thank you Terry, thank you from the bottom of my heart…

- Go and get some rest, I’m going to make arrangements

- You promise me you won’t leave without me?

- I promise you; otherwise you’ll go by yourself and it would be worse…

Candy smiled in the middle of her tears.

- Ok,. When will I see you?

- Come and see me behind the camp in 3 hours….

- Thank you Terry.

Candy went back near her friends. Those last got worried when they saw red eyes.

- Candy? Said Kelly, are you ok?

- Michael is missing in action she said sadly

- Oh my God! Said her three friends at the same time

They stood up to hug Candy.

- Thanks said Candy, wiping her tears

- Hang in there Candy, he’s a doctor, if the enemy has him, they’re going to keep him alive so he could take care of their soldiers said Kelly

- Come with us, they gave us a small room, let’s go and rest, said Allyson

They went and rest in the little room they had gave him. Her friend consoled her the best way they could. They prayed together for Michael and all the war prisoners’ safe return. When her friends fell asleep, Candy got out of the room to go see Terry. She found him outside behind the camp.

- Terry? She whispered

- Candy, are you sure you want to go ahead with it?

- Yes, I’m certain.

- Come and see me in 20 minutes, we’re going to take the Red Cross’ truck. It’s easier to cross the border as a neutral medical staff…

- So you’ll have to pass as a Red Cross employee, not a soldier…

- I already put on their uniform, said Terry

- Perfect, I’ll go get ready, I’ll see you in 20 minutes

- In 20 minutes, I’ll be there

Candy went back to get ready, since it was winter, she put some woolen socks and woolen pants and a big pullover. She put on some boots, hats, scarf and gloves. She snuck out without making any noise and she joined Terry in the truck behind the camp. He started the truck and they left to go to the border. They rode in silence in the beginning. Candy finally broke the silence.

- Terry, I know what it costs you to do this…thank you so much

- I couldn’t not help you, Candy, it’s not part of my options…You know that this is a very dangerous mission?

- Yes….

- You can still change you mind….

- No, Terry

- I can go and get him for you…you don’t trust me?

- Of course, I trust you Terry. But this is something I have to do. I want to find him, otherwise, I won’t be calm, I couldn’t live with myself…

She loved him that much? But why was it disturbing him? He had chosen Susanna and let Candy go. He had asked her to be happy… But he couldn’t help being jealous…

- You love him that much? You’re happy with him? He asked suddenly

- Yes, Terry, I’m very happy with Michael…

- You didn’t miss me for long….I see…

Candy was stunned! WHAT???!!! She didn’t miss him for long…? But…how…she got angry! How dared he say that?!

- Terry, you let me go…she said with a voice she wanted calm

- That’s what you wanted….

- What I wanted?

- That I stay with Susanna…..

- That you stay with Susanna?

Candy wanted to scream. That dicey subject was very very painful. She exploded!

- What I wanted, she said with a strong voice, when I was going to New York with my “one way ticket” was to find the man I love and stay with him forever…what I found, was the man I love guilt-ridden to have been saved by his colleague, whom was not only in love with him, but had also lost her leg in the process and to crown it all, who’s mother was pressuring him to marry!

- Candy…

- NO! Terry, I left to make things easy for you and you didn’t protest too much, if I remember correctly…You let me go…you told me to be happy, you chose Susanna! And I took the train for Chicago…

- Candy…

- You told me to be happy, you let me go, you didn’t ask me to stay with you… she said with tears of rage in her eyes, you married Susanna, you had a baby…I found Michael, I fell in love with him, thank God, and I’m happy with him. You told me to be happy or you wouldn’t forgive yourself. So, I’m reassuring you, Terry. I’m happy, you don’t have to feel guilty! You can’t change your mind now, it’s too late. I’m not going to apologise for being happy; after all, I took you to your word!

- You really love Michael…

- Yes. You and I, it’s over, Terry, we’re done!!!

Tears of rage were coming down her cheeks. He didn’t know how hard it was for her to pronounce those words. But she was right, he had asked her to be happy, and now, she was and he was married. Why was he angry she followed his advice? He could’ve gone back to her when he had left everything, but Albert had shown him the she was happy and he didn’t want to reopen her old wounds…Now, he was regretting it…he regretted to have let her go, he regretted not talking to her at the clinic. She was the only woman he ever loved and now, he had a son and she was married to his best friend and…she was happy! Happy without him! A part of him wanted to see her unhappy and crying over him….to see her happy, was painful. She was happy without him! Like he had asked her to… she had complied to his request, so why was he feeling betrayed?

- Candy, I’m sorry. I didn’t want to make you angry and I have no more rights to ask you anything…I was out of place…forgive me…

- It’s okay Terry, you don’t have to apologise…I’m sorry for getting angry and yelling at you…

- You said what’s on your heart… it’s good to vent sometimes…

- It’s been almost 4 years…I thought that my anger had passed…I’m sorry

- No hard feelings?

- No hard feelings!

Candy smiled. She had to spend a lot of time in his company. The atmosphere had to be more relaxed. They started to talk about this and that. Terry told her stories from the military camp and she told him stories of the hospital and the happy clinic with Doctor Martin; how she hid the key to the cupboard where the alcohol was, and how she put water in the whisky bottle.

- Oh Candy, you’re not possible!

- It was for his own good, for his health…

- Yes…

He thought about his own trip down alcohol hell, if she had found him instead of Albert, she would’ve helped him. But she had helped him; just seeing her from afar, had given him the courage to live… he went back to Susanna and he fulfilled his duty, because of her…

Web  Top
21 replies since 13/5/2007, 03:46   481 views