Fanfictions' reading corner/Le coin de lecture des fanfictions

IT'S OVER...

« Older   Newer »
Gentillefille
icon12  view post Posted on 22/7/2009, 23:23 by: Gentillefille     +1   -1

Reine du drame à la plume diversifiée qui ne cesse de produire toujours autant, malgré les ans et ses idées qui autant en emporte le vent!

Group:
Administrator

IT’S OVER…

Chapter 10
“A happy reunion”

The snow was falling on the military camp. Candy was sent to the other side of the frontier with a group of maquis that had bought her by non-official frontier, the same the soldiers used to bring back war prisoners. But she arrived at the camp safe and sound. Her friends had already gone back to Paris. She was so nervous. She couldn’t do anything while she was waiting, aside… wait. After a wait that seemed like an eternity for everybody, the truck with the prisoners arrived at dawn. Candy, who had managed to close an eye for 5 minutes, suddenly woke up. They were there! The dangerous mission was a success, they had lost a few men, but they were able to free all the prisoners. They were skinny and sick, not only because of bad sanitary conditions, but also due to the fact that they were made prisoners in enemy territory, the conditions were pretty bad; they were glad to have been freed.

Candy was looking for her husband with her eyes in the middle of all those soldiers that were running to go inside the camp. Most of them were taken from their beds and they were barely dresses and some were even barefoot. They were covered with blankets in the truck where there was no heat.

She finally saw her husband helping out the sick soldiers to stand up and walk.

- Michael? She said

He looked up and saw his beloved and he smiled. She ran to him and jumped to his neck. They stayed like that for a while and then he looked for her lips and they kissed passionately. Terry was helping the sick prisoners but he couldn’t help looking at Candy running to her husband and kiss him with so much passion. It was like they stuck a knife in his heart. That was his Candy, his Miss Freckles, his Miss Tarzan, the Queen of his thoughts! Life was cruel. Nothing happened like he predicted it; the woman he wanted to live the rest of his life with, was now the wife of another man. The pain, mixed to the joy of seeing her, made him motionless.

Candy was still in her husband’s arms.

- Miss Daredevil! My God! You came to look for me?

- You didn’t think I was going to abandon you, my loving lieutenant…

- I love you

- I love Michael. Don’t you ever scare me like that again!

They continued talking for a while.

- Candy? Said a voice

She turned around and se saw a young man with long hair and a long beard and broken glasses, skinny, sick, limping a little, but it was him!

- Alistair! She yelled, excuse-me honey, she said to Michael

She ran to him and jumped to his neck.

- Candy!!! Oh it’s so good to see you!!

- Alistair!!! Oh Alistair!!!!!

- Candy, what, a nice girl like you, is doing in a place like this? This is not a place for a woman…

- And it’s a place for men? You think that getting yourself killed is funny? The war is the place for no one Stear! Oh my God, I can’t believe you’re in my arms! I thought I would never see you again!

- What are you talking about? I would’ve come back…

- We thought you were dead, Stear…

- Dead?

- We even buried you…

- My God! But how? Oh… the plane crash… but…

- Yes, said Candy

- I was hit, I though it was the end….

- Stear, let’s go inside and take care of you, said Candy taking him inside the camp

They walked inside; Candy didn’t leave him for a minute. Once inside the camp, they gave him a bed and clean clothes. Terry came to see Stear. A young soldier was passing by, and smiled to Candy.

- Mrs. Durand, hello, how are you? Said the soldier

- I’m fine thank you, said Candy

Stear was surprised; “Mrs. Durand”, not “Mrs. Grandchester”?

- Mrs, Durand? Said Stear, as in Mrs. Michael Durand? Not Mrs. Grandchester?

- Yes, said Candy worried

- Did I miss something or the blow I got to my head was more severe than I thought…? Shouldn’t you be Mrs. Terrence Grandchester, Candy…? Terry?

Candy and Terry panicked a little, Stear could talk too much…As weird as it was, Michael was the one who saved the situation;

- Mrs. Grandchester? Said Michael, oh…no, they pretended to be married to get into the enemy camp…

Candy and Terry had a sigh of relief; they completely forgot that they pretended to be married! Stear, who still didn’t understand, looked at Candy and he saw her begging eyes. He looked at Terry and he saw the same eyes, so he turned to Michael and said;

- Michael! You little sneak! How could you hide the fact that you’re married to Candy from me? After all she’s my cousin!

- It’s for security reasons. The less the enemy knows about you, the better… it’s so we don’t put the lives of the people we love in danger. That’s why I don’t have a picture of Candy on me… it’s good thing no one knew that she was actually my wife, because she came to visit the camp with Terry as a married couple…

- We had to do it at the frontier, said Terry thinking about the kiss, so the custom officer would leave Candy alone…

- And I had to pretend I didn’t know my own wife, said Michael holding her against him. You can’t imagine how difficult that was…I wanted to kiss her so much

- It was difficult for me too, said Candy, I wanted to fall into your arms…

Stear was looking at Candy and Michael and he looked at Terry and he saw he was hurt in his eyes. What happened? He had taken Candy to the train station so she would go to Terry’s premiere and eventually stay with him in New York…How did she go from New York to France in the war as Mrs. Michael Durand?

- Lieutenant Durand, doc… we need you, said a young soldier passing by

- I’ll be right there! Candy honey, I’ll see you later, he said kissing her on the forehead…Stear…Terry

- See you later honey, said Candy

- See you later, Michael, said Stear

- Bye doc, said Terry…

Michael left leaving the three friends alone.

- Candy? Terry? Said Stear, can you explain to me…?

- I’m married to Susanna Marlowe, said Terry

- Thanks for not saying anything, said Candy

- What? You mean Michael doesn’t know you two have a past? Said Stear stunned, don’t you think he’s got the right to know?

- It’s been too long, Stear, he’s not going to understand… said Candy

- I should think so! I know about it and I don’t understand anything! Said Stear

- When Terry and I saw each other again here in France, Michael had just been hit by a bullet and Terry saved his life…

- To tell him that Candy was the woman I wanted to marry was only going to hurt him, especially after a delicate operation… said Terry

- Then it was too late… said Candy

- Ok… but if he learns that you hid that detail from him… he’s going to think that you did it on purpose so you could see each other under his nose!

- But that’s not what were doing, said Candy, we’re faithful to our marriage vows…

- I know Candy, said Stear, but that’s what it’s going to look like…

- We’ll cross that bridge when we get there…

- Ok, I won’t say anything, but… well… said Stear

- What I don’t understand, said Candy, to change the subject, it’s why you were reported dead…

- I understand. My bed neighbour… we switched ID chains… I took his, he took mine… now I know he died… oh my God! I was captured… and since our chains have no picture…

He took his chain of with the ID plate and he read out loud;

- “Jake Meadows”…

- Oh… said Candy, I’m sorry for your friend, but I’m glad you’re alive!

She jumped to his neck again. She was so happy.

- Oh… said Stear laughing, I should die more often, Candy I missed you, I missed you all…

- Archie is going to be overjoyed and Patty…Oh my God! It’s a miracle! Oh Alistair!

They were laughing and talking about old time.

- I’ll let you two catch up, said Terry, see you later

- Thanks Terry said Stear, I owe you one…

- See you later Terry, said Candy with a smile

Terry left the two cousins alone. Stear saw Candy’s eyes when she talked to Terry. They were so full of love; she was still in love with him! Candy told Stear the latest family news; Archie and Annie were married and they had a baby named Anthony…

- Anthony? Oh… said Stear

- Annie told me that they wanted to call the next one “Alistair”…

- The next one?

- If there is a next one… said Candy laughing

- Oh… I have a little nephew…

- Patricia never got over your death, she blows off every suitors…

- Oh… that’s good to know, said Stear smiling, Patty, I missed her so much! Especially here, where we have a brush with death everyday… it was good to know that Patty was waiting for me…

- She’s still waiting for you, Stear

- She thinks I’m dead, Candy…

- Well hurry up and go home, and correct her on that, before she decides to move on…

- Yes… like you… Candy, I know you loved Terry with all your heart, what happened? I still can’t believe you’re married to Michael!

Candy told him what happened with Susanna and Terry.

- You’re too good, Candy, as usual… you should’ve stayed and found another solution…You’ve made a big sacrifice. You should’ve had us there with you to advice you…

- Yes, maybe. But it’s in the past. Michael is my present and my future

- Are you sure you’re not hanging on to him to forget about Terry?

- I love Michael, Stear and he loves me

- He’s a good guy. He gave me the courage to come here…to fight; when he got that telegram…

- Our evening was cut short, he was so charming…

- Archie was saying that you weren’t indifferent to the uniform…

- He helped me come down that tower with that stupid suitcase…

- You were completely under his charm…

- That was the good old time…

- Let’s hope, this war is going to be over soon, it’s been lasting 4 years too long!

They continued talking about the family, Candy stayed with him the whole time. She cut his hair and was giving him a sponge bath…she started with the chest…

- Candy, you’re an excellent nurse, said Stear, but you’re going to drive me crazy!

Candy burst out laughing.

- Stear, I’m your cousin and a married woman! Soldier, get a hold of yourself!

- Candy… said Stear tortured

- Is everything ok? Asked Michael

Stear thanked God for Michael’s arrival.

- Yes, said Candy, honey, you want to finish cleaning up Stear? I have to go get clean towels…

- Of course, Candy, said Michael with a mocking smile

Candy left and Michael remained with Stear.

- So Stear… we’re having problems with my wife’s service?

- Euh… no… said Stear blushing

- Alistair, it’s been years since you’ve seen a woman… your sister would have that effect on you!

They burst out laughing. Candy went back to Paris with Stear. They were debating whether to write the family, the news of Alistair’s return or let him give it to them in person…

- A letter, they’re going to think it’s a joke… said Stear

- So just go in person, you’ve been relieve of your duties, you can go home… and you’ll get there before any letter we write…unless we sent a telegram…

- Yes…I would like you to come with me…

- Oh Stear, unless I’m pregnant, and I’m not… I’m staying here with my husband

- Candy… so get pregnant! And come back with me!

- Stear! Said Candy blushing

- What ? I don’t want to leave you here…

- Michael is here to protect me and…

- Terry?

- I was going to say, God…

- Oh… sorry Candy, but you know deep down inside that he would protect you with his life. Unconsciously, you want to be with the two men you love…

- Two…?

- I know you still love Terry, Candy and you will always love him…

- Stear, can we talk about something else?

- Ok… so I’m going back to America without you…

- We’ll see each other again, Stear

- I’ve survived a plane crash. You’ll survive this war, Candy…

- When are you leaving?

- Tomorrow morning, I’m taking the boat, so I have to leave here tonight…

- I have to finish my work, but I’ll come and say goodbye to you…

- Ok, Candy.

Stear was going back home. It’s going to be a shock, especially since they think he’s dead. But he couldn’t wait to see his brother, his new sister-in-law, his nephew and especially Patricia… finally some light at the end of the tunnel. He had to pretend to be crazy to avoid being tortured too much by the enemy. It was easy, all he had to do, was to talk about his inventions… it seemed so unreal! And to see Candy again- he had a secret crush on her- was a delight for him. She was married to Michael, still in love with Terry… Poor Candy!

Candy finished her work and went to spend Stear’s last minutes with him, before he left.

- I’m going to miss you again, Candy

- Stear! She said hugging him, I missed you so much, I still can’t believe you’re alive! You give a big kiss to everybody for me ok?

- Even Neil and Eliza?

- I’m so happy… what the heck? Yes, even them!

- Ok, Candy, said Stear with a smile, are you sure you want to stay here?

- I wish I could come with you, just so I could see everybody’s face when they see you… but…Stear, you said it yourself’ I’ve got the two men I love here, and there’s no other place I would rather be… she said softly

- Candy… ok, then. Take care of yourself and get pregnant already, for God’s sake!

They burst out laughing and Stear left with a group of other American soldiers. He was sad to leave Candy behind, but he was happy to go back home. He was very impatient during the crossing. He met a young man name Jonathan Brooks and they became friends.

- You’re going to Chicago? Asked Jonathan, me too!

- Great, we could make the trip together, I’m coming back from the war; they think I’m dead…

- They think you’re dead?

- An awful mistake… I’m going to rectify that and surprise them

- You can say that again, especially your parents

- My brother is my best friend; I missed him so much… I was captured by the army enemy and I was pretending to be crazy…

- You’ve got a lot of stories to tell…. Go on…

They spent the rest of the crossing together. Most of the passengers were wounded soldiers, amputated soldiers and boat’s cargo was filled with the remains of those who died at war. The atmosphere was kind of murky. Those responsible for the war had to find a solution soon, because it was lasting way too long.

Patricia O’Brien was with her grandmother who usually has crazy ideas and disappears out of the blue. Of course, the grandmother had left again without telling anybody and Patty was looking for her, for days in Chicago, when she finally received a letter from her, telling her she was in New York, working for free in one of the hospitals where all the wounded from the war came… Patricia went to see Annie who was busy with her baby.

- Annie, I have news from grandma

- Really? Where is she?

- In New York…

- New York? Oh… at least she’s not in Europe….

- Next time who know? I wouldn’t put it pass her… she’s so unpredictable… How’s Anthony?

- Like you can see, he’s fine

- You don’t have a nanny?

- Yes, but since I’m home, I like to take care of him myself… maybe it’s because I was abandoned, I don’t want him to feel abandoned if I’m here…

- Annie… that’s ridiculous…

- Maybe, but it’s a pleasure for me to take care of him

- I see… ok, I have to go to New York, said Patty standing up.

Patty’s purse fell on the floor and the content was spilled on the carpet. There was “Candy’s box of happiness”, the little that Stear had given to Candy, who gave it to Patty to encourage her. The box started to play a melody… Patty couldn’t believe her ears; she had tears in her eyes.

- Patty are you ok? Asked Annie worried

- Candy’s box of happiness…

- Yes?

- Stear gave it to Candy, he made it for her as a present when she was going to New York for Terry’s premiere…

- That was nice of him

- Candy gave it to me to encourage me because I was sad because of Stear. The music was playing in the beginning and then one day, it just stopped by itself, for no reason…

- Did you drop it?

- No, it wasn’t playing any music since then…

- And today it’s playing music, said Annie, that’s why you’re sad? You’re thinking about Candy and Stear?

That wasn’t it, but Patty let her friend believe that’s why she was crying. She remembered the day the box of happiness stopped. She had a bad feeling, a short time later; they received the news of Alistair’s death… the worst day of her life. The box of happiness had stopped playing music, and now it was playing again…

- Yes, Annie, I’m sorry, I didn’t want to worry you

- Stop saying nonsense, Patty. You have the right to cry… tears are good for you

- Thank you. I have to go, she said picking up her stuff from the carpet

She kissed her friend and the baby and she left. She went to her place and she took a small suitcase, then she went to the station and took the train for New York.

Web  Top
21 replies since 13/5/2007, 03:46   481 views