Fanfictions' reading corner/Le coin de lecture des fanfictions

IT'S OVER...

« Older   Newer »
Gentillefille
icon12  view post Posted on 23/7/2009, 00:19 by: Gentillefille     +1   -1

Reine du drame à la plume diversifiée qui ne cesse de produire toujours autant, malgré les ans et ses idées qui autant en emporte le vent!

Group:
Administrator

IT’S OVER…

Chapter 11

“Alistair’s return”

There were a lot of people at New York’s General Hospital. When a boat arrived from Europe, with all the soldiers, going back home, they first went by the hospital to get a clean bill of health before heading back home. Alistair was getting examined by a doctor who told him, he was malnourished and he had a little bit of the flu, but he was out of danger. Alistair was waiting for Jonathan in the waiting room, so they could go together to the station take the train for Chicago.

Patty’s grandmother Martha was among the volunteers at the hospital, she helped patients to walk, sit and lie down. While she was helping a young pregnant woman, she looked up and she saw a young man who looked a lot like Patricia’s fiancé… but it was impossible, Patricia’s fiancé was dead! But he looked like him so much! She finished helping the pregnant woman and she wanted to go back to see Alistair’s look-alike, but she got distracted by other patients…

Jonathan was done and he was ready to leave with Stear who was waiting for him in the hallway.

- So? Said Stear

- I’m ready to go back to Chicago, far away from the awful war…

- I’m following you, soldier! Said Stear, let’s get out of here!

They started to laugh and walked towards the exit where a lot of wounded soldiers were arriving. Stear didn’t see among the soldiers and the other patients, was a young lady with glasses looking for her grandmother.

Patricia started looking for her grandmother Martha; there were a lot of people, it was crowded. It was not easy to search for her, there was a lot of noise and the staff was really busy. It took her almost an hour, but she finally found her grandmother in the paediatric wing reading a story to sick children.

- Grandma, said Patricia, finally! You worried me like crazy! Why are you always leaving without saying anything to anybody…?

- Patricia! How good to see you! I wanted to help at the hospital, honey, said the grandmother very calm and hugging her

- You’re coming with me to Chicago…

- Yes, of course. That’s why I called you… otherwise, I would’ve continued my work and leave you in your ignorance…

- Grandma!

- Come on, let’s go eat something before we take the train

- Ok, let’s go…

- Wait, Patricia… said the grandmother… I wanted to see someone first, but whom?

- The chief of staff, maybe?

- No, a young man… oh yeah! Your fiancé’s double!

- Who’s double?

- Your fiancé’s…

- What fiancé? I don’t have a fiancé grandmother…

- Yes, you do, the boy with glasses like you… with black hair

- Alistair? Said Patty the throat tight

- Yes… that’s it!

- You saw Alistair? He’s not my fiancé, well… he wasn’t my fiancé and he’s dead…

- I know he’s dead the poor boy… that’s why I saw his double…

- Oh grandma, stop kidding around, let’s go!

Patricia took her grandmother and took her to a restaurant to get something to eat. They ate quietly. Patricia had to go to the powder room, she stood up.

- Grandmother, I’m going to the little girls’ room… don’t do anything foolish, like go wash the dishes in the restaurant’s kitchen

- Ok, Patricia, I won’t move… but to wash the dishes in a restaurant is not foolish Patricia…

- Grandma, just be on your best behaviour…please, said Patty walking away

The grandmother was eating. They had a table near the window. Grandmother Martha thought she saw Patricia’s fiancé’s double again, he was walking down the streets of New York… she wanted to follow him, but Patricia was going to be angry at her if she left… she stayed at the table and look at the double leave…

Patricia came back to the table to finish her meal.

- I saw him again , said the grandmother

- Who?

- The double…

- Grandma stop! You’re hurting me! Said Patty louder

- I’m sorry Patty. I’m shutting up…

- I’m sorry for raising my voice… but grandma…

- I know Patricia… let’s change the subject

The grandmother started to tell her stories about the hospital and Patricia was laughing out loud. But she was still thinking about her grandmother’s words… the Stear’s double… Candy’s box of happiness…no, she didn’t want to give herself false hope…

Stear and Jonathan were eating in a small restaurant not too far from the train station. They were sitting outside on the terrace.

- It’s good to eat hot dogs and hamburgers! Good old American food! Said Stear smiling

- You’re telling me? Food at the war was awful… but we had to survive…

- Like you say…

- I can’t help to sleep in my soft and comfortable bed!

They burst out laughing, finished their meal and they went to the train station. The day was coming to an end, it was almost spring time and the snow was starting to melt. The whether was cloudy, and it was foggy. They went to the station to take the train.

Patricia was at the station with Grandmother Martha waiting for the train to Chicago. It was not very crowded and the thick fog made the visibility limited and gave the impression you were alone in the world. Patricia left her grandmother to go buy some magazine to read on the train.

Alistair was on the pier with Jonathan waiting impatiently for the train.

- Jonathan, I’m going to buy some magazine to read on the train, you have some coins?

- Of course… there, said Jonathan giving him some coins

- Thanks…

Stear walked to a newspaper stall.

Patty was at the stall and she saw a magazine on engines, and she thought about Stear. Her heart got tight and tears were coming down her cheeks. She thought about her grandmother’s words, the box of happiness… and she was weeping in silence.

- Oh Alistair, she said out loud, I miss you so much… Alistair…

- Yes?

Patricia was startled and she turned around… she couldn’t believe her eyes! He seemed as stunned as she was to have met her by chance.

- Patricia?

- Alistair? She said a little uncertain

- Yes…

- ALISTAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She said jumping to his neck, oh I’m not dreaming! Grandma was right! Oh Alistair !!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

- Patricia, my God, I never thought I’ll see you here in New York! I’ve missed you so much!!

They stayed like that for a few moments and then Stear looked for her lips and kissed her with passion. Patricia always regretted not to have been kissed by the boy she loved… she never thought she’d have the occasion to experiment the wonderful and delicious phenomenon she dreamed about every night. She didn’t care she was in a public place and that everybody was looking at them. She had the miracle; she never thought she’d have. They were so caught up in their reunion, that they forgot they were at the station and that they had a train to catch. The voice over announced the arrival of the train to Chicago.

- The train, said Patricia between two kisses

- What?

- The train, honey…

- Oh yes… let’s go he said without letting go of her…

They went to the pier and they found Jonathan who was waiting for Stear at the door.

- Alistair! Finally I thought you’d been kidnapped… but…said Jonathan

- Jonathan, this is Patricia…said Stear

- The girl you love? Oh… said Jonathan with a smile

- I met her by chance, Patricia this is Jonathan, we met on the boat…

- Good evening, said Patty smiling

- Good evening, said Jonathan

- Oh… Grandma Martha! I forgot my grandmother! Grandma!

- Patricia said Grandma Martha arriving, oh… you found your fiancé’s double! I told you they looked alike, like twins…

- Yes, grandma, said Patty laughing, that’s because it’s him!!!

- What? Your fiancé is not dead? Said the old lady surprised

- No… grandma Martha, I’m alive and kicking said Stear

- Oh… my God! Come here said the old lady

She hugged Alistair.

- You hurt my little Patty, a lot…

- I’m sorry, said Stear

- Don’t apologise, said Patty, you’re alive, for God’s sake!

- We have to get on board, said Jonathan, otherwise, we’re going to miss the train…

They got on the train and the two young men were in the same compartment as Patricia and her grandmother. Stear didn’t let go of his beloved. He couldn’t stop kissing her.

- I’m sorry Grandma Martha, I hope we haven’t offended you, said Stear

- Oh not at all! I’m going to sleep anyway. You have a lot of catching up to do… don’t over do it!

Patty blushed a little and Stear was laughing. They spend the whole trip in each other’s arms, talking, telling stories, laughing, kissing…Jonathan was happy for his friend.

- When my was hit, said Stear, my biggest regret was not to have told you how I feel… I love Patricia…

- I love you too, Alistair, I love you so much!!! Oh, I’m the happiest woman on the planet!!!

They burst out laughing and continue talking, kissing… they couldn’t believe they were together and didn’t get tired of each other.

Candy was taking care of a young Canadian soldier who answered to the name; Lester Pearson. He was hurt on his right leg.

- Mrs. Durand… why don’t you go back to America?

- And leave my husband here with all those French nurses? Joked Candy, I don’t think so!

They burst out laughing. Then Lester took a serious tone.

- If I had the power, said Lester, I would make sure that this war stops and make sure it doesn’t happen again in the world. All this blood shed is totally and completely futile…

- So become a politician and advocate of peace talks, said Candy

- That’s what I intend to do, if I get out of this war alive…

- Seriously?

- Yes. After living the horror of the war… I’m not joking… I want to make it my cause…

- Well, I hope you’ll get out of this war alive and that you’ll be able to stop another war one day…

- Mrs. Durand, said an orderly, they need you in the O.R.

- I’m coming, said Candy, Lester; I have to go… get well soon!

- Bye, Mrs. Durand said Lester…

Meanwhile in Chicago, Alistair and Patricia took Grandma Martha at Patty’s so she could rest. They separated with Jonathan at the Chicago station; his family was there to pick him up.

At the Andrew Manor, Annie had just put little Anthony down for his nap. Archie was there to eat with his family as usual. Albert, Neil and the Great Aunt Elroy were there too.

Patricia entered the room and found them all at the table eating.

- Hello, she said coming in with a big smile

- Patricia! Said Annie smiling did you find Grandma Martha?

- Yes, and you know that I found her because she wanted to be found…

- She’s incorrigible! Said Archie, you want to eat something?

- Yes, of course, said Patricia, but I have a surprise for you…

- For us? Said Annie

- Yes, for the whole family, you too Albert, Neil and Great Aunt Elroy…

- Really? Said Albert, what is it?

- Just wait a minute, I’m coming said Patricia going out

The others were intrigued by Patty’s cheerfulness; she had a surprise for them? Patricia came back in the dining room, still smiling.

- Patty, said Annie, where’s the surprise…?

- The surprise is here!!! Said Stear coming in

Stear’s family was flabbergasted! Either their biggest wish had just come true, or they were the victims of a collective hallucination!

- So? Said Stear, you’re not kissing your brother who had just come back from the dead?

Archie wasn’t saying a word, he stoop up and approached his brother.

- Pinch me, he said to his brother

- What?

- Pinch me… so I’ll be sure I’m not dreaming…

- Ok, said Stear pinching his arm

- Ouch! You’re really here! I’m not dreaming!!! Oh Stear!!! He said hugging him hard… where were you? We thought you were dead!

- Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated… said Stear laughing

- You can say that again! Said Albert hugging him too

The great aunt had remained silent, she couldn’t understand what was happening; it was her grand nephew… he was not dead… oh my God… her heart…

- Alistair?

- Great aunt, said Stear, I’m back…

- Oh Lord! Said the great aunt hugging him to make sure he was real

She hugged him for a long time and it was the general joy for the rest of the day. Albert sent a telegram to the Cornwells to tell them the good news. But he had to send the telegram several times, because his sister and her husband thought it was a hoax; they didn’t believe the news!

Patricia stayed at the manor with her grandmother, to be near her beloved.

In France, the war continued, men continued to lose their lives and the leaders were trying to find a solution for this war that was already lasting too long.

In March it was the beginning of 5 German offensives. The British front was sunken in the Somme battle.

Candy was sent by the Red Cross with other soldiers that were going back to camp with medical supplies to help the doctors there, with all the fights, the hospitals were overcrowded and the camp doctors had to do their best with the little nurse staff they had.

She arrived at the camp and she found chaos. She helped as much as she could. She saw a lot of wounded soldiers, among whom, Terry… her heart skipped a beat… but she couldn’t show it to him.

- Terry, are you ok? She asked

- Yes, it’s only a flesh wound … what are you doing here? It’s dangerous theses days…

- When is it not dangerous? I know but I came to bring some medical supplies for the camp. I have to go back to Paris… Michael is there, he’s coming here tomorrow I think

- Yes, he said looking at her with love… did Stear leave?

- Yes… he must be home by now and happy to be with his family…

- That’s good for him, at least he’s far away from here… and you’re still not pregnant?

Candy became bright as red…

- Terry, how could you ask me that?

- You can’t imagine how much it hurts me, to ask you that… it even hurts me more to wish it, but if it’s the only thing that’s going to send you back to America to safety…

- Oh please, Michael is bugging me enough as it is... Can you spare me please? A little peace would be good…

- Peace? During war time? He said with a mocking tone

- At least, you haven’t lost your senses of humour… I have to go…

- I coming…

- What do you mean, you’re coming?

- Yes, because of my flesh wound, I’m the designated driver of the moment…

- You’ve got to be kidding me! This has got to be a bad joke!

- No, no… come on Mrs. Durand, I was waiting for you…

Candy was looking at him. She decided not to discuss too much, she could show her feelings…

- Ok, let’s go…

Terry went to tell his boss he was leaving and he took Candy to the truck. The night was cold and she prayed the trip will go quickly. They were riding in silence, when they heard a noise coming from the truck.

- Terry, what’s going on? Asked Candy…

- I don’t know, it’s like the truck is slowing down…

- But, we’re in the middle of nowhere, said Candy worried, we’re too far from the camp to go get some help…

- I’m going to see what’s happening first, said Terry getting out of the truck

He opened the hood and looked at the engine for a while. He came back in the truck and told Candy;

- Bad news, it’s the water pomp…plus the belt is loose and it ran down the battery…

- Ok… what are the possible solutions?

- We need help… but it’s too cold; I can’t ask you to walk to the camp…

- Terry, it’s too far, and it’s late… and without the heat from the engine running, we’re going to freeze to death

- I could go and come back with help…

- There not a single house for miles around… and you want to leave me alone? She said with a little voice

- Of course not, he said, it was only a suggestion…

- But it’s going to be very cold and the blanket won’t be enough…

- There’s a way to stay warm…

- Which one? Not the theory of two bodies rubbed against each other…?

- You’d rather freeze to death?

- No, but…

- Candy, one must take the rough with the smooth… our body becomes cold when we’re asleep… and the freezing cold of the night… we could wake up frozen, literally and if we’re not dead, we’re going to be very sick… I know I don’t mean anything to you anymore, I’m just a friend…so there shouldn’t be a problem…

Candy didn’t know what to do, to spend the night curled up against Terry? Why was life set on testing her that way? But she had no choice…

- Terry, apparently we have no choice… Oh my God! I can’t believe what I’m about to say…here goes… we have to sleep curled up against each other to stay warm…

A part of her was jumping of joy, the human and realistic part; she was going to spend the night in the arms of the man she loved… Terry took off his parka and stay with is t-shirt on… Candy looked at him stunned… the parka took a lot of space in the truck. So, she did the same thing, the inside of the truck was not made for sleeping. She had a light green pullover on. Terry took the parkas, fold them and put them in the space between the seats, but it was not enough. He took his boots off and Candy did the same thing and it was better. Terry lied down and opened his arms; Candy looked at him and she lay down on him. She tried not to like it too much… but… She took the blanket and she put it on them, she put her head on Terry’s chest.

- Terry, how’s your arm?

- It’s fine, Freckles, don’t worry about me… said Terry who was on cloud nine…

He was going to spend the night with the Queen of thoughts in his arms… Candy felt his joy, she was happy too, but, she felt guilty to like the situation so much.

Nevertheless, the universe seemed to want to give our two lovebirds a temporary and very short lived happiness… but it was just a chimera!

CANDY AND HISTORY
Lester Bowles Pearson (1897-1972)

Canadian politician. He went to WW1 and his experience during the war gave him the will to become a peacemaker to avoid futile bloodshed. He realised his dream and became a peacemaker and he managed to stop a lot of conflicts… he received the Nobel peace price in 1957. From April 22 1963 to April 1968, he was the Prime Minister of Canana. Toronto’s International Airport is named after him

Web  Top
21 replies since 13/5/2007, 03:46   481 views