Fanfictions' reading corner/Le coin de lecture des fanfictions

IT'S OVER...

« Older   Newer »
Gentillefille
icon12  view post Posted on 23/7/2009, 01:28 by: Gentillefille     +1   -1

Reine du drame à la plume diversifiée qui ne cesse de produire toujours autant, malgré les ans et ses idées qui autant en emporte le vent!

Group:
Administrator

IT’S OVER…

Chapter 15

“The New Year’s Eve party”

It was cold outside and the snow was falling on New York. The harbour was crowded with people that came to wait for their families and loved ones that had survived the war. Most of the reunions were pretty intense. Mothers, wives were crying of joy. The children were happy to find their parents alive and vice versa. There was a big parade organised for the soldiers who came back from the war, there were balloons confettis falling from everywhere and the bars were celebrating with the soldiers by offering free drinks all day. Even the soldiers who came back amputated were very happy.

Terry and Michael were partying a little with their friends and then they separated.

- See you later, buddy said Michael smiling

- Bye doc, take care of your little wife…

- You too and give your son a kiss from me… we’ll have to meet so our families could see each other…

- Ok, said Terry not too sure of himself

He knew Susanna would never want to meet Candy and her husband, but maybe the fact that Candy was married to another man and having a baby…

- See you later, doc, said Terry leaving

- Bye Terry said Michael

Terry met his friend Charlie who now had his own bar and was among those who offered free drinks. His troubles with the law were in the past and he was now a married man and a father. The two friends hugged.

- Terry! It’s good to see you buddy!

- You too, I’m happy to see you so stable….

- I’ve paid my debt to society; I’m now father of a little boy…

- Congratulations! Me too…

- Congratulations, we’ll have to meet to organise a play date with our sons so they can become friends like us in the old days…

- It’s good to see you Charlie

- Likewise. You could’ve died at the war and I would’ve never seen you again...Did you marry your beautiful nurse? Candy? That’s her name?

- No, Charlie, I didn’t marry Candy…

- But how? What happened?

Terry told him about what happened with Susanna and Charlie couldn’t believe her ears!

- Terry… you sacrificed yourself for a woman you don’t even love? I’m sorry buddy…

- Thank you. That’s life… I have to go home, to see my son and my wife

- I’ll see you later… ok?

- Bye, said Terry leaving

Terry went home, to his wife and his son. He was screaming with the other soldiers in the streets until he got home, later that day, because the streets were crowded and it was difficult to walk faster.

Michael arrived in Chicago with other soldiers in the screams and joy during the whole trip. He took a cab to go at the Andrew manor. The last time he was at the Andrew manor, it was with his cousin, the day he met Candy… It was still snowing. He rang the door. The butler opened the door.

- Yes?

- I’m Michael, Candy’s husband

- Oh… come in please. I’m going to go get her

The butler didn’t have the time to go get Candy, this last one was already running to her husband, and she jumped to his neck screaming;

- Michael!!!! Oh Michael I missed you so much!

- And you, Miss Daredevil! Oh my God! It’s so good to have you in my arms again!

He looked for her lips and kisses her passionately, for a long while. When they finally stopped, the whole family was looking at them. Candy smiled when she saw them.

- Everybody, you remember Michael? Except you Albert, you weren’t there… This is my husband, the lieutenant Michael Durand…

- Pleased to meet you, lieutenant, said Albert smiling

- Likewise, said Michael smiling

- And this is Patricia, Stear’s wife… said Candy

- Pleased to meet you, Michael, said Patty

- Pleased to meet you Mrs. Cornwell said Michael kissing her hand…

There was a party for Michael’s return, other guests arrived and everybody was happy. Eliza arrived with her husband, but she was staying a little far away from Michael, in front of her husband. The last memory she had of Michael, was when she wanted to stop him from helping Candy. Candy was in seventh heaven, her husband was there and the war was finally over. When the other guests left, Michael was telling stories about the war till late at night.

In their bedroom, Michael and Candy were getting ready to go to bed.

- Are you ok, honey? He asked

- You’re a doctor, you can see for yourself

- Doctors are not supposed to treat the members of their family….

- You’re not treating me, honey you’re checking on the baby…

- Later… now, I only want one thing… but first of all, when do want to come to France with me?

- Michael, can we wait until the baby comes?

- Why?

- Because the crossing was a nightmare for me…

- Oh… I’m sorry honey… ok then, we’re going to wait for the baby…

- But if you absolutely have to go…

- No, I don’t want to leave you…

- Me neither… oh Michael, she said hugging him, I’m so happy to see you!

They went to bed and they showed each other how much they missed each other, how much they were thirsty for one another.

In New York, Terry finally arrived home. It had been a long time, he was happy to be home to finally see his son. He still had the keys. He opened the door and got in. He found Susanna in the dinning room feeding the baby. He looked at his son, and he was submerged by all kinds of feelings, strong and intense. He approached them.

- Good evening, he said

Susanna was startled, and she smiled.

- TERRY!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!

She was on her wheelchair, so she couldn’t stand to kiss her husband. She regretted not having a prosthesis for the first time in her life. Terry approached her, leaned to kiss her on the cheeks; Susanna took advantage of the proximity to kiss him on the lips passionately. When she finally let go of him, he took his son and hugged him and closed his eyes.

- He’s wonderful, Susanna, he said moved

- He looks like you she said smiling

- Thank you, Susanna, thank you so much…

He kissed the baby on the cheeks and started talking to him, and telling him all sorts of stories. Susanna was looking at the scene smiling. Terry was back; she didn’t anything else.

Terry went back to the theatre to work. He was also working on a collection of poems. Life went on, he didn’t feel any closer to Susanna, but he spent all his free time with his son. He was the sunshine in his life, the only light in that sordid situation he was living in. Susanna….he continued being nice to her, but he was avoiding his conjugal duty…

Candy and Michael were living in peace for the first time ever since they found each other again in France. To not worry about getting killed during the war was an almost unreal sensation. Breakfast in bed, was a luxury that they rarely had during the war. They also spent a lot of time in Michael’s American family.

Europe was completely handicapped after the destruction caused by the big war. Albert and his nephews, who were prepared during the war, were able to take advantage of the market for the reconstruction of Europe. Albert started to travel a lot to make deals and supervise the work.

It didn’t take long for Patty to be in the family way. Candy was glad to have someone with whom she could share her cravings and nausea… Came the holidays; the first Christmas since the end of the war. Everybody celebrated Christmas, even the less fortunate were lucky because of the generosity of those who could afford it. It was the holidays everybody was happy that the awful war was finally over.

There was a big party organised by the army for the soldiers, the doctors, the nurses from the war and their families. It was suppose to happen in New York, on December 31st 1918. All the members of the Andrew family were going to New York for the big party.

Candy was thinking that Terry was living in New York with his family; he will certainly be there with his wife. She was sick, just thinking about it. They were all staying at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York and every couple had it’s own room. Eliza decided to come at the last minute with her husband. Parties were her weakness.

Candy was in Annie’s room with Patricia. She was telling them about her worries. There was a maid doing the bed.

- I’m afraid to see Terry, said Candy

- Why? You were seeing him during the war, said Patty

- During the war, I didn’t really have the choice, responded Candy

- But here you have the choice? Said Annie

- Yes… but it’s a party for soldiers and nurses and doctors from the war… he’s going to be there, he would want to see his friends and he will probably come with his wife…

- That’s what’s bothering you? Said Annie, to see him with his wife?

- I don’t know, I’ve never seen them together in person… I’ve got a weird feeling…said Candy

- Candy, come on, said Patty, everything is going to be fine…

- Michael still doesn’t know that Terry and I were in love once upon a time… I feel like I’m betraying him, I’m going to tell him the truth…

- Candy, are you sure? Asked Annie

- Yes, the war is over, we’re going to live in France after I give birth… it’s time… said Candy

The three friends didn’t know that the maid had left the door ajar and that Eliza, who was passing by, had heard the whole conversation. She had a mean smile; she had something that could destroy Candy for good in the eyes of her husband!

But Candy didn’t get the occasion to see Michael before the reception, the soldiers had an early reunion and they started to party a little before the official time. Michael came to get Candy in their room for the party that was to take place in at the restaurant on the ground floor.

- Candy! Thank God, you’re ready…

- Michael, I have to talk to you…

- Later honey, we can’t miss the beginning of the party ceremonies, it’s speech time and I have a speech to make…

- But…

- Later, honey, ok? He said kissing her on the cheek… let’s go

So Candy went to the party without telling Michael the truth about Terry and her.

There were a lot of people, all the soldiers and their wives and also other members of their family. The restaurant had tables with the family names labelled in the middle. Candy sat down with her friends and their spouses. She saw her friends from the war.

- Candy! Said Kristina oh you’re glowing!

- Kristina! How are you? You guys are glowing too! Is there something I should know?

- I’m a lot better ever since I’m here…and that the war is over

- Allyson, Kelly, how are you? Said Candy with a smile

- Fine, Candy said Kelly, it’s good to live in peace

- Yeah not more bullets flying, I’m not taking my calm for granted anymore

They burst out laughing and talked about the war, they were happy to have come out of it alive. Her friends introduced her to their spouses, and she introduced Michael. The men were talking on their side.

- We all got married Candy, said Kelly and we’re all expecting…

- That’s wonderful! I thought you were all glowing… said Candy, we need a baby boom to compensate for all those men we lost at war…

- Well, I have no trouble making babies said Kelly, as long as I don’t hear bullets flying anymore…

- Hear hear! Said Kristina laughing

- It’s wonderful to be altogether on New Year’s Eve, after everything we’ve been through together…

They continued talking and Candy introduced her war friends to Annie, Archie and Patty, they already knew Stear.

Terry arrived in the restaurant at the Waldorf Astoria with his wife who was now using a prosthesis and was walking with a cane. Terry was surprised to see Susanna’s determination to use a prosthesis. She had always refused categorically to wear one. With all the soldiers hurt at the war, the demand for prosthesis had doubled. Susanna was trying to look more attractive and independent in Terry’s eyes. But ever since his return, he barely took care of her. He was only taking care of the baby… Coming with him at the party, was a delight for her because little Richard wasn’t there; she should get all of Terry’s attention for the evening. They entered the room and went to sit at their table.

Candy saw Terry from afar with Susanna and her heart became tight. She will have to avoid him and she hope she can manage that in the middle of all those people… But, we don’t always get what we want…

After the speeches and the ceremonies of honour, it was the meal, then the dance. Michael took Candy on the dance floor to dance and Susanna insisted to dance with Terry. So they were also on the dance floor dancing slowly. Eliza was looking at the scene and she was planning how and when to drop her bombshell… Candy’s friends were also on the dance floor. There were a lot of people; the terrace door was open and despite the cold of winter, a lot of the guests wanted to breathe some fresh air.

- I’m hot, said Michael

- And I’m feeling sick, said Candy, I need some air…

- Let’s go outside for a few minutes…

- Ok, Michael…

It was like all of her friends had the same idea; they started to talk and of course Terry and Susanna were there…

- Doc! Said Terry smiling, good evening…

- Terry! Is that your wife? Said Michael when he saw Susanna, good evening, madam. I’m pleased to finally make your acquaintance…

He took Susanna’s hand and he kissed it. This last one had a little laugh. Candy approached them…

- Good evening, Terry, Susanna…..

Susanna was surprised to see Candy.

- I’m Michael’s wife said Candy

- Oh… said Susanna surprised but happy, good evening

Candy was married! Great! At least she wasn’t running after her Terry! Eliza chose that moment to approach the group.

- Terrence, said Eliza, what a nice surprise! And Susanna, you look great, you’re walking!

- Good evening Eliza, said Terry coldly, my wife Susanna

- Yes…. Said Eliza, I heard you have a little boy now, congratulations… you see Candy, you’re not irreplaceable…!

Candy became white as a sheet, Eliza with her vindictiveness was going to tell Michael everything… it was like watching an accident in slow motion and not being able to do anything to stop it… come what may…

- Candy? Why are you saying that Eliza? Asked Michael surprised

- What? You were at the war; all three of you during all those years, and Candy and Terry didn’t tell you that they were crazy in love, once upon a time? Said Eliza

- Eliza… started Terry

- I’m sorry Michael, I thought you knew; Candy and Terry would’ve been married if Susanna’s accident hadn’t happen…you didn’t know? But you were together at the war… I suppose they were playing you for a fool under you nose and that you were unknowingly giving them you’re blessing…continued Eliza

- What??? Said Michael looking at Candy, Terry? Is this true? Candy is the woman you love, the woman you wanted to marry?

- Michael, I …. Started Terry

- You bastard! Yelled Michael punching him on the face

The two men started to fight and the other soldiers were trying to separate them in vain. Candy couldn’t believe what was happening. She never hated Eliza more than at that moment. She was trying to scream to the two men to stop, without success. Stear and Archie finally managed to separate the two men who now had their lips bleeding.

- That’s enough! Said Stear, the war is over and you two have nothing better to do than to fight?

Michael and Terry set themselves free and were looking at each other with anger.

- Michael, said Terry, nothing happened…

- Shut up! I was sending you home with my wife, alone! You always told me how much you loved your ex-girlfriend… you spent the night curled up against her in the truck… pretending to be her husband in Germany must’ve been a delight for you… a dream come true…

- Don’t think that…started Terry

- I said shut up!

Michael turned to Candy.

- How could you do this to me?

- Michael, I wanted to tell you…

- But you didn’t! When I think that I was telling Terry that his wife would have no problem if he dance with my wife… he envied me! You must’ve been laughing behind my back when I was pushing you together, innocently… Said Michael feeling betrayed deep down inside, now I understand better the remark you made Stear…

He was talking about Stear’s reaction when he realised that Candy was Mrs. Durand and not Mrs. Grandchester.

- She’s a just a common tramp who was getting it on with her ex-boyfriend in your conjugal bed, said Eliza with her viper tongue, she told me; he’s the father of the baby she’s carrying….

Candy was so flabbergasted by Eliza’s meanness, that she opened her mouth. Neil was there and he decided to take care of his sister.

- Eliza, he said angry, that’s enough, come with me…

- But Neil…

- Let’s go! He yelled pulling her and forcing her to go back to her room

Susanna didn’t say a word. She was pale as a ghost. Candy was at the war with Terry? She felt like they were walking on her needle heels.

- Candy, you were at the war with Terry? You couldn’t leave him alone? You had to follow him there?

Susanna of course didn’t know what she was saying, she was incoherent. Michael was looking at his wife with disdain.

- The baby is mine? Asked Michael

- Of course! Said Candy outraged with tears in her eyes, if you think I’m capable of cheating on you under your nose, you don’t know me at all!

- I thought I knew you, but…my mistake said Michael coldly

- Michael… this is neither the place nor the time to talk about this…

- Leave me alone! You disgust me!

Candy was hurt; Michael was not going to listen to her in the state he was in. She ran out of there.

- Candy! Said Terry

- Yeah go join the woman you love, said Michael, you deserve each other!

Terry punched Michael again and he punched him back. Stear and Archie had to separate them again.

- You’re an idiot! Said Terry to Michael, you’re going to lose her…

- But wouldn’t that be a good thing for you? Said Michael

Terry set himself free and ran after Candy, under Susanna’s distraught eyes. Terry didn’t even look at her…Candy’s friends had assisted to the scene powerless.

- Susanna said Annie, you want to come in, it’s cold…

- Thank you, said Susanna crying…

She took Susanna inside.

- Should we go after Candy? Asked Patty

- No, let’s leave her alone, said Annie, we’ll see her later…

The men were trying to calm Michael down, but they didn’t seem to be able to do it.

Terry had caught up with Candy she was waiting for the elevator.

- Candy, wait…

- Terry, leave me alone. Go take care of your wife… what are you doing here?

- I wanted to know how you were…the baby?

- What do you think? I’ll survive, don’t worry about me…the baby is fine

- I’m sorry for everything…

- No. I’m sorry. You wanted to tell him the truth from the beginning, I’m the one who didn’t want to… it’s not your fault, it’s mine… go to Susanna

- You’re sending me to her again… said Terry hurt

- Things are what they are Terry, she said getting in the elevator, good bye Terry

- Good bye… my love he whispered for himself

Candy went to her room and she met Eliza in the hallway.

- Michael is going to dump you, you dirty little slut…

- Eliza, said Candy calmly, what goes around, comes around. You’ll get your reward, not from me but from God. The bible says; “Leave revenge to me, you shall bless, not curse…” So Eliza, I’m blessing you, and I’m thanking you for everything you’ve done to me and everything you’ve done for me.

And she got into the room to pack her bags. She got out of the room and she met Albert.

- Albert…

- Candy, where are you going?

- I have to get out of here…

- I’m coming with you…

- But…

- You mustn’t carry heavy things; I’m coming with you…

- Very well. Thank you. Let’s go…

She was leaving the hotel with Albert, her faithful friend who was secretly in love with her.

Terry went back to the party, after taking a few minutes, took his wife to go back home. He left her in the lobby to go get the car. Candy got out the elevator with Albert. Albert went outside to get a cab. Susanna saw Candy and she wanted to kill her. She approached her.

- Terry is mine, you know, you won’t have him… even if you followed him to the war…

- Susanna, I’m tired…

- We have a little boy…

- Congratulations…

- He would never leave us to go back to you… I would never let him do it…

- As oppose to me the poor idiot? Said Candy angry, I left you the man I loved more than anything in the world because you loved him, you had saved his life, you had lost your leg, you needed him… but make no mistake, it was not an easy thing for me to do…. I loved Terry with all my heart, leaving him to you might have been the biggest mistake of my life… you’re lucky I was only a kid who thought about others first…

- So, I should thank you?

- Yes, you should! If I wanted Terry, I would be with Terry today… so, your ingratitude and sermons from you Susanna, I can do without!

Albert made her a sign from outside and she got out of the hotel to get into a cad. Albert took her in his arms and she let him, she was crying in silence.

Terry arrived with the car, to pick up his wife. He didn’t say a word during the whole ride. Once in their house, Susanna couldn’t take it anymore.

- Terry? You have nothing to say to me…?

- No…

- You were with Candy at the war… that’s why you didn’t come to see the baby, you wanted to stay near her…

Terry had an exasperated sigh; Susanna was going to have her own little version in her head.

- Susanna, do you mind if I put my fist in some ice, and a wet cloth on my face?

- Terry, we have to talk about Candy

- Why? Her marriage might be over…because of me… she’s having a baby…

- Is it your baby?

- How could you ask me that?

- Because you call me “Candy” the rare moments when we’re intimate…

- Susanna…

- You don’t even realise it because you have to imagine in your head that I’m her…

- I’m sorry. I’m not the father of Candy’s baby…. She would never cheat on her husband…

- But she lied to him…

- No, she didn’t tell him we knew each other…

- Lie by omission…. You’re still defending her…

- She didn’t do anything wrong, she was faithful to her marriage vows and me too for that matter…

- That must’ve been hard for you… not to do anything with her…

They heard Little Richard cry.

- I’m going to take care of him, said Terry leaving the room

Susanna remained in the living room without saying anything. It’s not like she has a normal relationship with Terry. He was forced to stay with her, if Candy hadn’t left him…. She didn’t even want to think about it. Because of Candy, she had the man she loved and because of Candy, she had his baby… but she would never thank Candy, because in her head, Terry was hers, he always has been hers… Candy who?

Web  Top
21 replies since 13/5/2007, 03:46   481 views